Ask a Nurse Forum

blood in Urine

My three year old daughter has had blood in her urine for about 5 days now...its not alot but enough to scare me. what do I do?
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

Your daughter needs to be seen by her pediatrician to determine what is causing the bleeding.  Blood in the urine can be caused by a number of things including a urinary tract infection, a kidney infection, kidney stones, a vaginal infection, among other things.  This really needs to be checked out since if left untreated, these things can cause permenant damage to the urinary tract.  Take her to see her doctor ASAP or if you don't have a doctor, take her to the emergency room for treatment.  Good luck.

Bridget
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.