Ask a Nurse Forum

date of conception

I went to the doctor yesterday and found out I was 6 weeks and 2 days pregnant. Does that mean 6 weeks and 2 days ago I conceived the baby? So April 1 the baby was conceived?
Thanks for using the forum.

Your due date is usually calculated starting from the first day of your last menstrual period (LMP). This is where the 40 week time span of pregnancy starts. Ovulation usually occurs at about 2 weeks after that day. Conception would have occurred 12-24 hours after ovulation. Therefore, conception most likely occurred 13-17 days after the start of your last period.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I hope that this helps.

Cathy
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.