Ask a Nurse Forum

lump behind my ear

hello im 18 and yesterday i noticed a lumb behind my ear and at first i thought nothing of it.. but today it has gone a brown/blackish and is very painful to touch it has also gotta bigger. i havnt hit it or anything like that though. my brother had a tumer in the same place when he was a kid could it be the same?.
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

This could simply be a cyst, or even a swollen lymph node.  However, since it is painful and since your brother has a history of a tumor in the same spot, I think I would get it checked out just to be on the safe side.   Good luck.

Bridget
I have always gotten cysts behind my ears. They are never painful.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.