Ask a Nurse Forum

question about blood work

rbc 4.03  Low
hgb 14
mcv 104.4 high
mch 34.7 high
plat count 256
mpv 6.9 low

just want someones opinion about the low and high results on my blood test
HI and thanks for using the forum.

It is very difficult to interpret lab results by themselves (meaning without being able to evaluate the patient physically).  Also, labs use different ranges of "normal".  Finally, what you have provided is not the complete blood count, rather just pieces of it.  From what I could find, your abnormal ranges are not really that abnormal, just slightly off. My suggestion would be to discuss the lab results directly with the practitioner who ordered them.  He/She has examined you and can use the physical exam along with the lab results to give you a better picture.  Again, from what I see, nothing is too far off the normal range.  Good luck.

Bridget
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.