Ask a Nurse Forum

red blood cell count

hi i went to doctor and they told me that my red blood cell is 5.19 is that normal and also my mcv is 77.3 L and my mch is 25.8 L should i be concern
Hi and thanks for using the forum.

A red blood cell count is usually done as part of a CBC- complete blood count.  5.19 is within the normal range for red blood cells.

MCV is a measurement of the size of the red blood cells.  Your result 77.3 is a little below the normal range.

MCH is a measurement of the amount of hemogolobin in the red blood cells.  Hemoglobin is a protein found in red blood cells that carries oxygen.  Again, your result is a little below the normal range.  

Below normal values for these tests can indicate anemia.  Your values are only slightly below normal so unless otherwise indicated by your doctor, I would not be too worried.  

Good Luck,

Bridget
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.