Ask a Pharmacist Forum

ADHD MEDS AND DEPRESSION

My 11 year old son diagnosed with ADHD deperission. He is taking meds that I feel couter act one another....reperidone.25mg 2 x day, vyvanse 30 mg 1 x a day, zoloft 1/2 25mg a day, and methyphidate 10 mg 1 x a day in afternoon. Help. Does these different medicines seem necessary. He is still have concentration issues.
Risperidone is an atypical (second generation) antipsychotic. Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine) is a stimulant. Zoloft (sertraline) is an anti-depressant. Methylphenidate is a stimulant. Your son is taking two stimulant medications which are generally indicated for ADHD, and sertraline, an anti-depressant, indicated for the treatment of depression. Risperidone is typically indicated for bipolar disorder, or schizophrenia, however, it may have additional uses as well. Stimulant medications such as methylphenidate may increase the risk for new-onset psychosis; patients must be monitored for symptoms of aggression or hostility. Regarding the antipsychotic medication, risperidone, this drug has a side effect of causing a reduced attention span in less than 4% of patients.    

I do not have enough information available to determine the most appropriate course of treatment for your son, but I would recommend you review his current medication regimen with a psychiatrist if you feel his symptoms are not currently being well-controlled.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.