Ask a Pharmacist Forum

Missed period

I'm starting my third month of loestrin 24 Fe (day 2 of pill pack) and started 25 mg Zoloft and .5mg klonapin 4 days ago. I was supposed to get my period yesterday. It hasn't arrived and there's a possibility I could be pregnant. I have had unprotected sex (besides the pill) and I missed two days in a row. I'm wondering how likely it is that the drug combinations have delayed it (fingers crossed!!) because now is really not a good time for me to have a baby. :( I'm scared.

My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 months, and things are great but obviously still new and neither of us are financially ready for a child, or for any long term commitment conversations and it could devastate my career.

The only other symptoms I've had are things taste metallic, I have close to no appetite, and I feel slightly nauseous today.  But all of those could also be side effects of the zoloft from what I've read.

I'm on zoloft and klonapin for anxiety but now that my period is late they aren't exactly helping!!  

If anyone has been on a similar cocktail of meds I'd really appreciate your input. Thank you :)
Dear xtine1243:

Birth control pills (BCPs) are effective in preventing pregnancy, but 5 out of 100 women can still get pregnant while taking them. Please note that BCP does not protect you from HIV nor other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).

In order for it to be effective, BCPs must be taken daily and best not to miss any doses. It is recommended to be taken at the same time everyday for effectiveness and medication adherence.

Loestrin 24 Fe contains 24 tablets of combined ethinyl estradiol (estrogen) and norethindrone (progesterone), in addition to 4 tablets of ferrous fumarate or iron tablets. Some of the side effects may include irregular menstrual periods (especially in the early initiation periods, i.e. first 3 months), nausea and stomach discomfort, headaches, weight and appetite changes, etc. I am not sure about the metallic taste and did not find any clinical data that associate it with the 3 medication that you listed.

I understand you are scared about being pregnant. It is a good idea to use over-the-counter pregnancy test to check first and then verify with you provider with a blood test if need be.

It is very important for you to have regular follow-up visits, especially if you are taking sertraline (Zoloft) and clonazepam (Klonopin) for PMDD, or premenstrual dysphoric disorder. Some of your symptoms may also be related to PMDD.

Good luck!

For more information, please go to:
1. Estrogen and Progestin (oral contraceptives) - Medline Plus
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a601050.html#side-effects

2. Loestrin 24 Fe - Daily Med
http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=9828574e-9b01-4256-ba25-04906ab6098e#nlm34084-4

3. Birth control Methods Fact Sheet - Women's Health.org
http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/birth-control-methods.html
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.