Ask a Pharmacist Forum

Seroquel

My question is whether it is OK to take low dose seroquel (quitiapine) 25 or 50 mg as a sleeping aid as I then intend to ask my doctor then.Presently I am having lots of sleep problems since 1 month ever since my doctor started tapering me off Risperdal.I am on 0.5 mg and two days away from stopping the Risperdal under my doctor's supervision>I was wondering if it was alright to ask him about taking low dose seroquel as a sleeping aid instead of sleeping pills.Thank you.
Seroquel is a strong antipsychotic agent.  While it does cause drowsiness, using it for sleep alone could bring along unwanted side effects or even new medical conditions.  Using a medicine specifically prescribed as a sleep aid would be a better option than exploiting a side effect of seroquel.  Also, patients who currently take seroquel often feel drowsy throughout the entire day.  Discuss any concerns you may have with your doctor, and he/she will work with you to find a regimen that works best for you.  
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.