Aa
A
A
A
Close
Ask a Pharmacist Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Trichomoniasis

I had a Trichomoniasis (its positive) my doctor gave me metronidazole suppository and im 2 months pregnant, im worried if this affect my unborn baby? If yes, what would be the effect for my baby?
1 Responses
5801192 tn?1389200487
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Dear Sandhieidhnas:

For a comprehensive Trichomoniasis Fact Sheet, please go to Womenshealth.gov: https://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/trichomoniasis.html

According to CDC or Center for Disease Control, the treatment for trichomoniasis is:
**************************************************************************************
"a single dose of prescription antibiotic medication (either metronidazole or tinidazole), pills which can be taken by mouth.

It is okay for pregnant women to take this medication. Some people who drink alcohol within 24 hours after taking this kind of antibiotic can have uncomfortable side effects.

People who have been treated for trichomoniasis can get it again.  About 1 in 5 people get infected again within 3 months after treatment.  To avoid getting reinfected, make sure that all of your sex partners get treated too, and wait to have sex again until all of your symptoms go away (about a week).  Get checked again if your symptoms come back."

http://www.cdc.gov/std/trichomonas/treatment.htm
**************************************************************************************

Metronidazole is in the FDA Pregnancy Category B, which means "animal reproduction studies have failed to demonstrate a risk to the
fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant
women."

Directly from the manufacture drug label:
"Use of metronidazole for trichomoniasis during pregnancy should be restricted to those in whom alternative treatment has been inadequate.

Use of metronidazole for trichomoniasis in pregnancy should be carefully evaluated because metronidazole crosses the placental barrier and its effects on the human fetal organogenesis are not known."

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=2484fe2f-f9ea-49ee-85cd-52acf2c90a8c#nlm34084-4

Good luck and take care!
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.