Ask a Pharmacist Forum

post pardom deppression meds

i was diognosed with depression my doctor gave me celexa  and i didnt like it
i am a single mom with three kids under the age of 8
i am sure i have post pardom deppression
i moved to palestine now and there is not one psycologist here that i can go to and be 100% confident that hes for real
my question is what do i do i need help
overseas names of meds are different what would be another name for celexa here any idea
let me know please
what are the side affects
Here is the patient information that would be dispensed with Celexa if you were to fill it with us.
Citalopram Hydrobromide Oral tablet
Trade Names

Celexa

The list of names may not include all products that are available on the market.

What is this medicine?

CITALOPRAM is a medicine for depression.

This medicine may be used for other purposes; ask your health care provider or pharmacist if you have questions.

What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?

They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
  • bipolar disorder or a family history of bipolar disorder
  • diabetes
  • heart disease
  • kidney or liver disease
  • receiving electroconvulsive therapy
  • seizures (convulsions)
  • suicidal thoughts or a previous suicide attempt
  • an unusual or allergic reaction to citalopram, escitalopram, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
  • pregnant or trying to become pregnant
  • breast-feeding

How should I use this medicine?

Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. You can take it with or without food. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.

A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.

Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.

Overdosage: If you think you have taken too much of this medicine contact a poison control center or emergency room at once.
NOTE: This medicine is only for you. Do not share this medicine with others.

What if I miss a dose?

If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.

What may interact with this medicine?

Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
  • certain diet drugs like dexfenfluramine, fenfluramine, phentermine, sibutramine
  • cisapride
  • escitalopram
  • MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
  • nefazodone
  • phenothiazines like chlorpromazine, mesoridazine, prochlorperazine, thioridazine
  • procarbazine
  • St. John's Wort
  • tryptophan
  • venlafaxine

This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
  • amphetamine or dextroamphetamine
  • aspirin and aspirin-like drugs
  • carbamazepine
  • cimetidine
  • linezolid
  • medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
  • medicines for migraine headache like almotriptan, eletriptan, frovatriptan, naratriptan, rizatriptan, sumatriptan, zolmitriptan
  • medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like warfarin, enoxaparin, and dalteparin
  • medicines that treat HIV infection or AIDS
  • metoprolol
  • NSAIDs, medicines for pain and inflammation, like ibuprofen or naproxen
  • pimozide

This list may not describe all possible interactions. Give your health care provider a list of all the medicines, herbs, non-prescription drugs, or dietary supplements you use. Also tell them if you smoke, drink alcohol, or use illegal drugs. Some items may interact with your medicine.

What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?

Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
  • allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
  • confusion
  • dizziness or light headedness
  • fast talking and excited feelings or actions that are out of control
  • hallucination, loss of contact with reality
  • seizures
  • suicidal thoughts or other mood changes
  • unusual bleeding or bruising

Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
  • blurred vision
  • change in appetite
  • change in sex drive or performance
  • headache
  • increased sweating
  • nausea
  • trouble sleeping

This list may not describe all possible side effects.

What should I watch for while using this medicine?

Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. Continue to take your medicine even if you do not feel better right away. It can take about 4 weeks before you feel the full effect of this medicine.

Patients and their families should watch out for depression or thoughts of suicide that get worse. Also watch out for sudden or severe changes in feelings such as feeling anxious, agitated, panicky, irritable, hostile, aggressive, impulsive, severely restless, overly excited and hyperactive, or not being able to sleep. If this happens, especially at the beginning of antidepressant treatment or after a change in dose, call your health care professional.

If you have been taking this medicine regularly for some time, do not suddenly stop taking it. You must gradually reduce the dose, or your symptoms may get worse. Ask your doctor or health care professional for advice.

You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol may interfere with the effect of this medicine. Avoid alcoholic drinks.

Do not treat yourself for coughs, colds, or allergies without asking your doctor or health care professional for advice. Some ingredients can increase possible side effects.

Your mouth may get dry. Chewing sugarless gum or sucking hard candy, and drinking plenty of water will help.

Where should I keep my medicine?

Keep out of reach of children.

Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Citalopram is an antidepressant drug used to treat depression associated with mood disorders. It is also used on occasion in the treatment of body dysmorphic disorder and anxiety.

Citalopram belongs to a class of drugs known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). It is sold under the brand-names Celexa™ (U.S., Forest Laboratories, Inc.), Cipramil™ , Citrol™, Seropram™ (Europe and Australia), Recital™ (Israel, Thrima Inc. for Unipharm Ltd.), Zetalo (India), Celepram™, Ciazil™ (Australia), Zentius™ (South America, Roemmers) and Cipram™ (Denmark, H. Lundbeck A/S).

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

Jennifer R RPh www.drugstore.com
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.