Advice?

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with a 16 year old boy who has aspergers(only dx last year and having MAJOR probs coming to terms with it). He is having serious bouts of agression and depression, mainly to do with no friends, exams and the things that other teens have to deal with. Only he has aspergers and is not dealing with them very well at all. I am very worried about him(my step-brother) Many Thanks!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Are there any professionals involved with him at the moment?  If not I think the subject should be brought up through both Health and Education to see what supports they can provide.
I am sure you will get other useful posts from  those with Aspergers or parents of ...
I would also try to find out through parent support groups or through your local council or education department if there are any Youth Clubs, Social Events, Mentoring/Buddying scheme that they have specifically aimed at teenagers with Aspergers.  I know there are some in my area.  It may take alot of phone calls and searching, but there is usually something out there.
The problem you are describing is very common and you could tell him that as well.  There may be all kinds of worries and stresses that normal teenagers get that he will be struggling with because he may not be able to sort out the outcome himself.  He may need many things explaining to him in a sequential way because he may not be able to predict outcomes.
There are professionals who deal mainly with social communication and help those with disorders such as Aspergers to learn some people skills.  Ask if there is such a thing through Health or Education.
Stress is also common.  This is something an OT could look into.  Some kind of exercise is also very good for depression.  So if he likes martial arts he could join a club.  Or join a cycling or swimming club.  Are there any obvious groups he could join around his special interests or obsessions?
Are there any dinnertime/afterschool clubs that he could be involved with in school.  Is his school supportive of the fact that he has Aspergers and recognise that he will need social supports in place during freetime?
Is he considering going on to further education.  Some colleges/universities are more aware of those with Aspergers.
Hope that helps.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the post! He does go to a youth club once a week and that has helped. He sees a councillor once every few weeks(she is overloaded) Thats about it. There are no special groups here for aspergers kids(sad I know) I guess I would like to know how other parents cope with their children, special little "tricks" that have worked for them.
Helpful - 0
You could consider starting something up.  Doesn't have to be just you running it.  You could find out from other services whether they think there is a need for this type of thing.  And if you need it chances are someone else will too.  I know it probably sounds like more work.  But if it got off the ground and helped your son and reduced his stress levels and therefore improved family life, plus you would get some great contacts/info going between parents.  It would actually end up lightening your load.
Helpful - 0
Hi, thanks for your reply! You obviously dont live in Ireland!!!!!!!!!! Havent got a hope of starting anything up like that over here(unless you are wealthy beyond imagination) No public funding or grant either. I was actually enquiring on behalf of my brother who has aspergers(my two boys have their own probs!) We live an hour away from each other
Helpful - 0
The group I go to is held in the gym of a local college/school.  They put out all the equipment for the kids + trampoline etc and the parents meet in like a teachers staff room.  The community college has one of their own staff to manage the kids plus a couple of the parents.  It only costs £1.65 per child with ASD or ADHD and £2 for siblings or friends.  Obviously you might need something a bit different if the children were older, but our group is from toddlers to 16 years old.
Helpful - 0
Thats a great idea, sounds like fun. I wish we could get something like that going over here. Unfortunately, no school will allow you to do that here, insurance purposes(a waste of a facility in my opinion)
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Asperger's Syndrome Community

Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
What to expect in your growing baby
Is the PS3 the new Prozac … or causing ADHD in your kid?
Autism expert Dr. Richard Graff weighs in on the vaccine-autism media scandal.
Could your home be a haven for toxins that can cause ADHD?