Asperger's Syndrome Community
910 Members

Asperger Syndrome

I have a 9 year old son with Asperger Syndrome.  
He is as typical as he can be for a 9 year old boy; eventhough he was diagnosed w/ having mild AS.
When he was a baby, he cried like any other baby.  However, once he became a toddler, I noticed he didn't cry - he whined.  
Now that he is older - I cannot remember the last time I saw him shed a tear.  
My question:  Is this a normal response for a person w/ AS?
Hi there, yes it can be normal behavior.  There are times that a child with an ASD will have tears coming from their eyes when they are seemingly happy, or no tears when you think they would be really sad.  Unfortunately if they are not worked with in regards to emotional responses and what emotional regulation this may be the case.  Look into what your school district offers in terms of having a therapist work with him on emotional regulation.  Good luck
As someone with Aspergers myself, emotion is easier to ignore on the outside and is only to be done when you’re alone...
If you wish to know how your son is ask what he feels not how.
This is key as we do not always understand how we feel, just what we feel. Hope this helps
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
What to expect in your growing baby
Is the PS3 the new Prozac … or causing ADHD in your kid?
Autism expert Dr. Richard Graff weighs in on the vaccine-autism media scandal.
Could your home be a haven for toxins that can cause ADHD?