Asperger's Syndrome Community
910 Members

Aspergers vs. Borderline Personality Disorder

I am a 15 year old girl and have been in therapy for depression, generalized anxiety, and borderline personality disorder since I was 9. I have also been on and off Prozac since then. Recently, my parents and I wanted a second opinion about increasing the dosage of my medication, so we went to a different psychiatrist than usual. This psychiatrist suggested that I might have been misdiagnosed and have mild Asperger's instead of BPD. I've been looking it up, and a lot of the symptoms do apply to me, but in at least a few of the differences I've found between BPD and Asperger's, I've applied more to the BPD stuff than the Asperger's stuff. For example, I would consider myself manipulative, like is common of BPD (lying a lot, sometimes even faking tears ect.) but also have an extremely strong sense of morals and can't understand why other people wouldn't follow the same morals, as is found with Aspergers. So I guess my question is, does anyone have experience with both or with a person who has had both disorders and have advice/know how to deal with it? It's just that the idea of being on the spectrum is very new and alien to me, and I don't really know what to do about it.
Quite a few Aspies are indeed misdiagnosed as being bipolar. Not sure about having both at the same time, it seems rather strange to me, but who knows?

About the lying, as an Aspie I have a strong sense of moral but I don't like to lie, quite the opposite.

If you want to learn more about Asperger, you can read the books by Tony Attwood, he is the main expert on this topic.
hi! i have Aspergers and my sister has BPD, the two can display similar but it all matters on why the symptoms are displayed. for example

when i talk to people, i get nervous because i dont know what to do, but when my sister talks to people, she gets nervous because she thinks they may reject her, or judge her, or think shes a bad person.

the two are actually very different, but even i show some BPD traits and she shows ASD traits. if its a close call, you need evaluations done.
Can we contribute to their situation if we consider their emotional condition? And what are the best tips to deal with them? I hope you can give some suggestion regarding this matter. Thank you.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
What to expect in your growing baby
Is the PS3 the new Prozac … or causing ADHD in your kid?
Autism expert Dr. Richard Graff weighs in on the vaccine-autism media scandal.
Could your home be a haven for toxins that can cause ADHD?