Asperger's Syndrome Community
910 Members

Is it worth it to seek diagnosis?

I have no idea how this forum works and I didn't want to thread hijack, so I am posting my own. Sorry if this is wrong.

Just some background, I am a 21 year old female. I was professionally diagnosed with OCD and anxiety at age 8, but I often feel it does not cover everything I am experiencing. I was actually examined for autism at age 5 because I didn't talk or do many things 5 year olds did--I didn't learn to tie my shoes until I was 10, but I could count to 100 in kindergarten and read in preschool. They said I did not have autism, but rather, I was just precociously smart and "should just grow up to be a scientist or something".

I grew up reading a lot of books, and was fascinated by science. I loved the discovery channel when I was little. I would often read the same books over and over to pass my time. I was a tomboy and I loved animals! My memory is photographic I can remember some things back from when I was 4 pretty well. I had friends when I was little, but as I grew up as an adolescent, I lost these friends. I eventually had one friend by the time I graduated high school. I moved two hours away for college and after a tough transition period, stuck around and will graduate with my bachelors next year with a 3.5 GPA. academic performance was another thing that has seem to deteriorate with age. I worked very hard when I was young--but as I grew older, if things did not interest me, I wouldn't put the time in. I was bad about procrastinating and still am. They pushed for me to be in the gifted child program at school, but I would always fail the standardized test. I finally got in through the performing arts program as a senior. Theatre was a liberating hobby for me in HS. I got to rote memorize tons of lines and pretend to be someone else. I was very good at it and played many important roles.

I sometimes have trouble putting my words in the right order and only make brief eye contact with a few people. I have begun to cling to my parents and tell them everything. I feel like a burden to one of them who is sick and stressed. I have friends in college but not close friends. I spend most of my time alone and often go home on the weekends. Parties are scary unless I'm drunk, then they're a bit less scary. Most see me as naïve or "like, 12". I've gotten better socially, but most of it is habits and phrases I've learned from others. I think everyone automatically does not like me, and sometimes I think sarcasm is serious.

I've been asked if I have ADD/ADHD because I stare into space and get distracted so much, but I just don't feel like it is me. Recently, I've been experiencing what I think is depression as well as increased anxiety. My mind is always racing and I feel like sleeping all of the time. Certain noises make me cringe, and I am a very picky eater due to the texture of food. If I get creeped out, it is more than just chills--i shrivel up and my neck does this odd twitchy thing. I feel the same if something feels good too, mainly if a certain person hugs or kisses me. I don't really like to be hugged or kissed except by a few. Taps on the shoulder and pokes to get attention annoy me immensely. I can't keep a text convo well and sometimes do not reply at all--this has impacted my romantic life. I've been single for over two years. The last relationship I had ended when he wanted to have sex and would push back when he leaned in to kiss me. I don't crave or want sex, have never had it, and have often wondered if I am asexual. When someone says they love me or shows they care or say they want to protect me, however, I often become very attached to them. I've been used a lot in friendships because of this. I'm willing to do anything for the people that I love and love me back. This gets me in trouble most of the time.

I've got what I consider to be very low self esteem and confidence in myself, despite being very competitive and constantly trying to beat out others in school. I don't feel worthy when my test grade in my favorite subject is not the highest. I am relentlessly hard on myself amd feel like a failure most of the time. My image of myself has gotten better, but I often feel it is based either off of my competitive drive or the social habits I've learned. I haven't been very happy with who I am in the past two weeks, and have been crying everyday. If someone is not constantly telling me I'm great, I feel like nothing. That also makes me feel self-centered.

I love to pace. If I'm pacing alone, I'm talking to myself as well, often rehearsing imaginary conversations. (Another reason I loved theatre). I don't talk a lot around others, but I have learned how to converse pretty well in a group. I have good days where I am right on beat socially, and bad days where I fall apart and can't hold a conversation.

I could go on, but basically, I am not happy with myself. Out of curiosity, I came across some narratives of people with aspergers (especially women) that I feel like I may identify with. I scored 36 on the AQ test, 138 Aspie, 77 NT on the RDOS Aspie quiz, and 128 total score on the Ritvo scale. I feel as though some, though not all, Aspir traits applied to me when I was younger and I may have been able to hide them to fit in as I grew older. Some of this information has given me relief, but a diagnosis would release me and help me love myself. But I want opinions before I share these thoughts with a GP or even my parents. From what I've written (I know it's long, sorry) do you think I have enough traits to warrant diagnosis? The doctors that told me I had OCD when I was young did not have any specialty in autistic disorders. I wonder if they were right or wrong. Or is it just the OCD/ anxiety I already possess, or ADD/ADHD, or me wanting attention? I am not looking for disability benefits, but peace of mind. Thank you.
Jesus H Christ this is like looking into a mirror, except the college thing. I'm an Aspie and almost everything you've said sounds like you're talking about me, especially the obsessions and being interested in certain things and not giving a toss about others...go get tested, hun. I'm pretty sure you fall into our group of high functioning Aspies!
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
What to expect in your growing baby
Is the PS3 the new Prozac … or causing ADHD in your kid?
Autism expert Dr. Richard Graff weighs in on the vaccine-autism media scandal.
Could your home be a haven for toxins that can cause ADHD?