Asperger's Syndrome Community
913 Members

Misdiagnosed with Aspergers?

I am 19 and was diagnosed with aspergers at 16.I don't trust the diagnosis of the mental health clinic, due to unprofessional actions. So I did my own digging and research, and found that I don’t fit almost any of the criteria. I found that people with Aspergers can have trouble putting themselves in other people’s shoes, can be inappropriate, Have a lack of social skills, need schedules, and more. With me however, I have a severe lack of social skills, and obsessive interests in certain topics, and I am extremely logical, that is the only parts I fit. I was diagnosed at 16 but didn’t do anything with the information, but recently started questioning it. As i don’t currently see a mental health care professional my mom spoke to hers. Her counselor was adamant that I had Asperger's because i am vegan, and in her eyes that is rigid thinking. As a child I was shy, but able to make friends and handle social situations in a somewhat normal way. I preferred to read, Preferably history books and I didn’t know how to play" normally" .as a preteen I had lots of friends and was an average kid, except for my obsessive interest of world history. I didn’t have social problems until I was 14.That year I went from a shy but average kid, to not being able to have a conversation with someone without feeling like a blind man stumbling in the dark. I can empathize with people and can read basic body language, but I can’t understand social queues .I lost my ability to do so in a short time. I know this is not viewed as accurate by some but to give you a general understanding about how my mind works, I found Myers Briggs and tested every time at INTJ. At 16 just before I was diagnosed I went to a woman who does some sort of cognitive testing. She gave me tests of patterns and said it was likely I had Aspergers but never explained why. I also know five people with Aspergers and I don’t share the core similarities that they have. I am just so confused.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
What to expect in your growing baby
Is the PS3 the new Prozac … or causing ADHD in your kid?
Autism expert Dr. Richard Graff weighs in on the vaccine-autism media scandal.
Could your home be a haven for toxins that can cause ADHD?