I have a 7.5 yr old son who was different from birth. Can ya'll tell me if you think he has aspbergers, based on what I say below.
1. he had inconsolable crying as a baby. He cried so much, I couldn't go to the bathroom or tak a bath without him wailing loudly.
2. he did odd things as a baby. he lay on his back like most babies, but would arch his back ,kick his legs, flap his arms, stare at the ceiling nd make panting noises. While in a playpen he would laugh hysterically when I ran my finger nails over the netting causing azipping sound. He destroyed toys and books. and still does, though now it's more due to irresponibility. when he could sit up, he woule pile and unpile books and such when he was tired and keep doing it till he fell over in sleep from exaustion.
3. as a toddler, he was Hercules trying and succeding at lifting and 8lb spring water jug, etc, Houdini getting into and out of anything and flash, taking off so fast, I had to run at top speed to catch him.
4. he never had separation nxiety or fear of anything or anyone except the sound of thunder.
5. in excessive motion at all times except when interacting with media, tv, computer or books.
6. low frustration tolerance, rages when young, defiance, beligerance when older.
7. VERY self obsessed "I want" etc, lacks full range of human emotions, only presents anger at not getting his way, his wants, "stupid legos! they keep falling down!" won't listen to suggestions or solutions.
8. lacks expressing love, affection, compassion, sorrow, empathy, thougtfulness, wonder, etc, all the things that make most children a joy. Excessive silliness. excessive chattering.
9. doesn't value anything except a small white stuffed bear he wants with him at all times.
10. puts non food items in his mouth.
11. lacks personal pride, fails to keep self nd environment neat and clean.
12. lacks slf motivaton I have to tell him to get dressed, sit at the table to eat, put dirty dishes in the sik, trash in the trashcan, laundry in the basket,etc.
13. reads 2 grade levels ahead, but absorbs information from books, tv, and computer and regurgitates it. Cannot have give & takeconversations. He is a walking encyclepida.
14. had EXTREME behavioral issues in a public school setting, such as running down halls, making noises, hitting spitting, throwing stuff etc, warrenting him to be suspended nd sent to disiplinary school at 6yrs old.
15. aces language arts without trying, hih pshyc test scores 99th percentile, superior, above average in most things, but has no initiative to do anything on his own.
16. craves constant attention, and always has.
17. has no clue how to interact with others, always wants to be the leader, peers are baffled by his odd behaviors, gets along better with adults (as long as they are not trying to direct him) and younger children who go along ith hiss wanting to lead.
and the list goes on.
He's been on 9 different meds, 8 for ADHD, + clnidine (not working anymore) all with unacceptable side effects and limited effectiveness in contolling his behaviors.
Is he ADHD/ODD oppositional defiant disorder and aspergers?
Any insights/thought on this?