Technological tools that have worked for AS students

I am current graduate student working on a project re: Aspergers Syndrome. I have a nephew with AS and 3 nephews in the saem family with different levels of ASD. So Autism is very near to my heart. My current project is researching technology and the AS student. Id be interested in hearing from  parents first hand experiences as well as any of the Dr's on staff. As a future Austim teacher, I am wanting to learn about real life experiences, and not just textbook teachings.
This is the information I am interested in learning about what has worked, and hasnt worked for you:

a.     What technological solutions have been successful in helping the AS student overcome/adapt to his/her disability in a learning environment?
b.    What solutions failed? why?
c.     Any other suggestions in relation to use of technology?

I am learning so much here from the Dr's and parents. What an AWESOMe forum...thank you in advance for any sharing of experiences / information that fellow teachers, parents can share for what has worked or hasnt worked for their child / student.

Sincerely,
Catherine
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Don't be surpised if your post goes *poof* later by the mods, because there is a blanket policy against posting for book research, etc..

As far as technology goes, that could mean anything. Could you be more specific?

For me I find the computer and internet a helpful way of communication.  I can say a lot more in print than verbally. (even though I supposidly speak well).

You can google up Amanda Baggs if you are curious to know about non-verbal autism and technology.  She may not be verbal, but she can type and communicate her thoughts that way.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for info...I'm completely new to the site...as far as my question..I was wanting to hear from parents/teachers/professionals that work with Asperger Syndrome students and in relation to learning - what technology tools worked or didnt work..any technology...so my questions for my paper are as previously stated:

b.    What solutions failed? why?

Even though it is for a paper, in my course of study, I am sure parents that are new to the Autism world would also benefit from what worked or didnt work for other children...I'll also check out the site you recommended...thank you thank you :)..please send me other links if you think of any...

On a personal note..I was with my nephew from age 3 months to almost 6 and can relate to so many postings that others have expressed feelings in....I want to share what I know but dont know if this would be stepping out of my area as I dont have an AS child, but do currently work with Autistic students from K - 12 in public school setting...thoughts?
Helpful - 0
First off when I think technology, I think of computers, science, telphones, HD TV's, advances in medicine, the boom of LED lights and so on...

With computers: we have the change from CRT to LCD monitors. That helps because I have more space on my desk.  Then there's the internet, which has become a great tool.

With science: my mind scatters in numerous directions. There's new discoveries (I'd have to google to find out what discoveries are being made recently), medications up the wazzoo, as well as drug companies that want to make anyone and their dog believe they are flawed people and needing to be on something without taking the side effects into consideration.  

With meds, they have their place, but they also get abused. I don't agree with giving a 2 year old clonodine to shut them up at night... (someone actually advised that on autism speaks and was swearing by it!!! GRRRR... (Was it clonodine or some other med that actually been known to cause damage to children??? I could be wrong.  I need to do more research myself)

It's hard for me to narrow down and know what specific thechnology you are looking for.
Helpful - 0
MJ - thank you for your insight....I have sons who are ADD and dyslexic and when they were in school they used the computer for practicing their spelling lists. It was a tool that made them successful in remembering the words AND how to spell them! The repitition was a key element in their learning as was the visual aspect.

So in clarification, I am interested in the use of technology (inclusive of what kind of programs used on computers) that worked or didnt work for AS students - all learning environments, all ages - is of interest to me.

I'm definitely seeing the commonality of the use of the computer for communication purposes as being a positive element for all ASD students.....I know there are many other types of technology tools available in classrooms. I have seen the use of TV's and educational DVDs and the repitition of the songs being a key element in Autistic children leanring the alphabet..even lower functioning students...I have seen non-verbal students sing along to the jingles but not converse in any other way...it is truely amazing the mind of an autistic human....

Thanks!
Helpful - 0
It's truely amazing the mind of any human being!

Some lowteck tools: ear plugs, noise reducing headphones (some day I hope to get one of those) clickie pens - something to stem when anxious.

Higher tech things that helped me:  Computer programs: MS word. It's basic, but it naggs when I mistype a word. I can fix it. (I likely have undiagnosed dyslexia)

Phones: caller id: that takes some of the guesswork out of who is calling. That way I can choose if I want to answer or not.

Cell phones: when I had one I liked that I could just punch a button and if anyone called me I could call back. I have anxiety dialing numbers. My parents had a caller id thing that would call numbers too with a push of a button.

Programs again: graphics programs. This has nothing to do with my autism, but it creates a means for me to work on my artwork.

Otherwise I'm pretty low tech. I get the most help from people, self advocacy programs.

What I'd like to see done in my life: have someone I can call to go with me shopping and running errands.  We are in process trying to get a peer mentor, but the mentor flaked on us this last time...

Possible service animal - this is a long range plan. I'd like to have one when I do end up living independantly. I'd like to try it anyway and see if it works.

I hope this helps for now. I'm having a hard time thinking.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Asperger's Syndrome Community

Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
What to expect in your growing baby
Is the PS3 the new Prozac … or causing ADHD in your kid?
Autism expert Dr. Richard Graff weighs in on the vaccine-autism media scandal.
Could your home be a haven for toxins that can cause ADHD?