Asthma and Allergy Forum

3 Year old child with hives

Our 3 year old has recently broken out in hives (last 3 weeks). Dermatologist said it was an unspecified exanthem. Pediatrician said it was some type of allergy and to give her Zyrtec for 2 weeks. Urgent care doctor thinks it is Urticaria and wants to give her predisone. Who is close to being accurate and is it time to see an allergy specialist? Does this condition appear to be serious in nature or common with non-serious allergic reactions? Some preliminary research on the internet has identified hepatitis, lymphomas, cancers of the kidney/gastrointestinal.
Hives usually recede in a time period of 30 minutes to 1.5 hours.
2/26 - Threw up in evening, low grade temperature (think was a result of a bug going around, several friends in the Dallas area had similar instances)
2/27 - Went to the park in the afternoon, child threw up (after playing and feeding the ducks)
2/28 - Child woke up with hives on hands and feet
3/2 - 3/16 - Various hives (when Zyrtec is not administered) - usually 2 days after not giving Zyrtec
3/12 - Worst hive breakout, started small on hands and after itching it got significantly worse. Episode occurred in Johnny Carino's Rest. (Failed to give Zyrtec in the morning)
Meals 3/12 - LNCH (12:15 p.m.) - Italian Nachos (Pasta chips, black olives, roma tomatoes, alfredo sauce, mozzarella/parmesan cheese)
3/17 - Threw up @ 1:45 p.m. temp of 102
Meals 3/16 - DNR (8:45 p.m.): Cheese Pizza, grape juice
Meals 3/17 - BRFST (9:00 a.m.): Scrambled eggs, grapes, bacon, chocolate milk, LNCH (12:30 p.m.): corn dog, grapes, PBJ
3/20 - Did not give Zyrtec in the morning, child had a hive on left hand at 12:45 p.m. and a hive on her right cheek at 1:45 p.m.
Meals 3/19 - BRFST: Malt o Meal, LNCH: Chicken & Rice, DNR: Tacos (w/ lettuce, tomato, cheese, sour cream) and guacamole.
Meals 3/20 - BRFST (8:30 a.m.): Oat Meal, Cinnamon Toast, Water, Snack (10:30 a.m.): Peach Yogurt, Cheese slice, raisin bran cereal, LNCH (1:30 p.m.): Chicken fingers, cole slaw, milk,

The odds are that ther urticaria is related to an underlying infection.  I usually would want to rule out any chronic infection as my first action.  Lingering infection would explain both the fever and urticaria. But so might, some type of autoimmune process.It could be a viral infection that caused the GI symptoms and elevated temperature of 2/27 and 3/18.  This could possibly be a sinus infection, fluid behind the TM which is secondarily infected etc.  I doubt allergy as the primary event.  But I would recommend seeing an allergist to make sure there are no other causes involved.  

Finally an extensive biochemical blood screening test could well provide a clue both to the category of disease and where to look next in pursuit of a specific diagnosis.

Good luck
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.