Allergies and Pregnancy

Good Day,

I am 38 yo female. 5 months pregnant with my first baby.

I do have asthma (was diagnosed about 2 years ago due to chronic cough and using spirometry) which is particularly exercise induced. I don't currently take any maintenance meds and just use ventolin if required.

I have celiac, hypothyroid and now gestational diabetes. I tend to suffer frequently from allergies (sneezing, itching), known allergy to dustmites, but testing for other allergies carried out about 18 months ago was not conclusive, despite having a systemic flushing response immediately following the allergy testing.

Lately I have been having frequent violent sneezing (many times a day), with intermittent running nose and itchy face and trunk. The sneezing and running nose also wake me in the middle of the night, and I have to keep blowing my nose for a while before it settles and I can sleep again.  I haven't yet been able to identify clear cause or food trigger (other than peanuts, which recently have started to clearly cause an itch and burning/flushing reaction).

Question:-

I mentioned these symptoms to my obe and she was not at all concerned and just asked me to avoid triggers.  

However, i have not been able to identify clear triggers and the symptoms are not improving at all.  Is it safe to use antihistamine meds in this situation?  Can there be risk to the baby from my allergy reactions?  I am quite miserable with these allergy symptoms and would like to minimise these if possible.  

Should I try to get some more assistance from my doctor on this, or is it ok just to try to live with this?

Thank you very much for your time.
Your concerns are warranted and should be addressed by your doctors.  The combination of your age, a first pregnancy, celiac disease, hypothyroidism, diabetes and, most importantly your serious allergic disease, especially the recent response to peanuts, significantly increase the risk of your pregnancy; risk to you and to your baby.  The flushing response with allergy testing and the recent "itchy face and trunk" are worrisome as they suggest that you are at significant risk for more serious reactions.

The non-allergic, non-respiratory problems can safely be managed by your family doctor, an internist or maybe even by your obstetrician (OB), if she is comfortable and trained to manage these types of diseases.

The asthma/allergy disease, as you have described it, is definitely beyond the expertise of your current doctors and should be managed by a board certified allergist with a high degree of experience with food allergy, including reduction of the risk of anaphylaxis.

I strongly recommend that you consider consultation with a medical school university hospital affiliated allergist specializing in food allergy.  After your evaluation, such an individual could then work collaboratively with your local allergist.  Such specialists would be found at the National Jewish Health in Denver, Colorado; at the Johns Hopkins Medical Center in Baltimore, Maryland; and at any of the Mayo Clinics, or Dr. Michael Kaliner at the Institute of Asthma and Allergy at the following address:  

11002 VEIRS MILL RD #414 5454 WISCONSIN AVE. #700
WHEATON, MD 20902 CHEVY CHASE, MD 20815
(301) 962-5800 (301) 986-9262

It is my impression that your doctors, including the allergist, may not appreciate the seriousness of your situation.  This is too important for you and your baby and your family to not take the steps necessary to protect all of you.
Thank you very much for your input. I really appreciate this.  I guess I have been treating this as not so serious, but I realise from your response that it is.

I am in Philippines and don't have access to your Doctors.  However, I will go back to my allergist and discuss your response with her and also ask her to help me work with my other doctors.

Thank you again the service you offer is really wonderful.

Sally

You are reading content posted in the Asthma and Allergy Forum

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.