Asthma and Allergy Forum

Allergy causing Myoclonus?

I was diagnosed with myoclonus 3 years ago, just a few months after I started dated my now husband. I have been on every medication for this under the moon, with some relief, but not any that get rid of it all together. I mainly have my condition at night. So I woke up this morning with a thought. My husband is away on a fishing trip, and I have not had any myoclonus since he left. Then I started thinking about days he was gone on business trips. I did not have myoclonus on those nights either. So I woke up thinking.my husband wears the same hair gel everyday, and I run my fingers through his hair every night before he goes to bed. Could I be having a allergic reaction to his gel? Can an Allergy cause Myoclonus? I have violent jerks all night long for hours at a time most nights going on 3 years now, and I am out of answers, and the doctors have no more tests to run.
There are a number of causes of myoclonis and a number of non-myoclonic conditions that can mimic the disease, including the restless leg syndrome.  

The following is an excerpt from a leading Textbook of Internal Medicine.  I could find no evidence in the medical literature (but that does not mean that it has not been reported) of allergy as a cause of this condition.  Yet the seeming relationship of your muscle condition to the presence of your husband definitely does suggest some (non-allergic) cause and effect relationship.  You might want to either ask that he stop using the gel or, for a trial period, avoid running your hands through his hair.  If that doesn’t work, then the best advice I can provide is that you and/or your present doctor contact the nearest Academic Medical Center to arrange for consultation with a Neurology specialist, ideally with a physician with expertise in muscular or neuromuscular diseases.

Good luck
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.