Asthma and Allergy Forum

Allergy shot dosage schedule

I have no medical knowledge but understand the basic premise of allergy shots(which I am sure everyone reading this forum will understand as well).   Allergy shots are described as gradually increasing exposure to what you are allergic to.    In the build up phase there are multiple vials,  each one 10 times stronger than the previous one.   I have seen a few dosage schedules,  and they arent all the same,  but they are all pretty similar.

Example:

0.05 cc's
0.10 cc's
0.15 cc's
0.20 cc's
0.25 cc's
0.30 cc's
0.35 cc's
0.40 cc's
0.45 cc's
0.50 cc's

At this point,    you proceed to the next vial.   So one way to look at the above is you go up a small amount,    0.05 CC's every week.     this is consistant with the concept of gradual.

However,  say I just took the first dose of the Red vial which was 0..05 cc's.         The next week I get  0.10 cc's.    So I just recieved DOUBLE the amount of allergens I recieved in the previous week.    This isnt at all consistant with the concept of gradual.

I havent specifically asked my allergist about this because I havent seen her since reading up on the dosage schedule on line.     I am not confident I will recieve a good answer cause when I do talk about dosing,   I am told in a non-condecending way "dont worry about that,  let me worry about that".   Well,  I am worrying,   as I will soon hit the red vial.

Does anyone have any idea why the step from 0.05 to 0.10 isnt a dangerous doubling of the amount of allergens that the patient is exposed to ?

What am I missing,  cause the math is pretty simple.

The following is taken  from:  Pfenninger and Fowler's Procedures for Primary Care, 3rd ed.
Copyright © 2010 Mosby, An Imprint of Elsevier
Conventional immunotherapy is based on a 10-fold dilution system and is started at 0.1 mL of 1 : 100,000 dilution of each allergen. Injections are graduated (0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5 mL) weekly through dilutions of 1 : 100,000, 1 : 10,000, 1 : 1000, and 1 : 100 until maintenance is reached. Some laboratories use a fivefold dilution system (1 : 325,000, 1 : 62,500, 1 : 12,5000, 1 : 2500, 1 : 500, 1 : 100) for immunotherapy. The maintenance dose in either system is the highest tolerated dose that can be attained without causing a …
I hope this helps.
Check your question out with your allergist as may be modifying the dosages in a personalized manner.
Asthma and Allergy Forum
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.