Breathing is difficult

I am 23 years old, average build, mother of one two year old. I've had asthma for most of my life and for some stupid reason I have been smoking since I was 14 (have tried to quit on numerous occasions.. it is very difficult). For the past couple of weeks, I have not been able to breath. I wake up during the night choking and coughing out mucus. During the day, I am out of breath. I always feel like I have something stuck in my throat, or my lymph nodes or my tonsils are swollen. I have gone to the doctor, he checked my lungs (said they are fine) he checked my throat and said it was clear. He gave me Dexamethas and Benzonatat, not only that but I have a Ventolin inhaler and a Qvar inhaler. Problem is, I begin to feel better, but then after I take my medicine, it gets worse. I cough to the point that my lungs hurt and so does my head. Please, help me figure out what to do... I'm starting to get nervous about this.
Read more
Follow
Upvote - 0
Your first step should be to do everything within your power, with your doctor’s assistance, to stop smoking.   Based on your description of things, you are unlikely to achieve optimum relief of the asthma, whatever drugs you take, should you continue to smoke.

In addition your drug therapy regimen must be optimized if your asthma is ever to be controlled.  Given you desperation, you and your doctor should arrange for consultation with an Asthma specialist and the nearest Mayo Clinic, the Cleveland Clinic, the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center or National Jewish Health in Denver.

Good luck
I have the same problem. Its the worst feeling in the world to not be able to breathe and always be short on breath. I got my tonsils removed and that helped a little. I know its stupid to smoke but I do it too, but now I smoke marb ULTRA LIGHTS size '72. I know its stupid but that helped a little too.