Hearing loss from middle ear infection

After having lung and head congestion, and following 5 days of taking a Z-pack, I developed a middle ear infection.  I have had hearing loss (and ringing in that ear) for 6 days.  The doc put me on Amoxicilian 6 days ago.  How long might it take for the fluid in my middle ear to be absorbed or drain?  This hearing loss has me very concerned.  The doc told me that it may take 15 days of Amoxicilian to knock out the infection.  The ear pain has gone away, but the ringing and deafness has not.  Thanks.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
With optimum therapy, the “ringing and deafness” should subside fairly quickly, with an uncomplicated middle ear infection.  However, complications including permanent damage to the ear drum and/or adjacent structures can occur, when the infection is uncontrolled or only partially controlled, leading to scarring.  Another complication of middle ear infections is infection of the mastoid, a structure that lies behind the ear, much more common in children than adults.

Your doctor has treated in exactly the right way and in most instances, all your symptoms would have resolved.  But, since they have not, it would be wise to request consultation with an ear, nose and throat (ENT) specialist, preferably one with a special interest in the ear.  By doing this your concerns will be addressed and hopefully, relieved and possibly permanent hearing loss avoided.  And, if your doctor is like most doctors, his feelings will not be hurt by your request.

Good luck.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Asthma and Allergy Forum

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.