Asthma and Allergy Forum

Respiratory - Auto Mechanic

As the economy has changed, I was thinking about reinventing myself and becoming an auto mechanic.

I've read that this can be a dangerous profeesion with regards to chemicals used, etc.

I'm mainly concerned with inhaling gas fumes, asbestos, etc.

Is being an auto mechanic for a long period of time safe? I'm considering becoming one, but I don't want to place my health in jeopardy.

I'm also considering air conditioning and refridgeration repair, but I'm not aware of any potential health hazards in that field.

Thank you for your help.
As an auto mechanic, you would be exposed to dust, fumes (including diesel fumes)  & gases, and a variety of chemicals, often referred to as Volatile Organic Chemicals (VOC), but almost certainly, not to asbestos.  There is one report of an increased incidence of breast cancer in women exposed to VOC’s, but this has not been confirmed.

Being an auto mechanic poses very little risk from these inhaled materials, if a person has normal lungs to begin with.  A person who already has an underlying chronic lung disease, such as asthma, cystic fibrosis, COPD would be wise to avoid any such occupational exposures, altogether.

Air conditioning and refrigeration repair can be hazardous. Freon and other such materials used in refrigeration systems decompose on heating and produce substances that are highly irritating to the airways.

Any of these occupational materials are much more hazardous if an individual also smokes cigarettes.

For further information on hazardous occupational exposures, I suggest that you go to the OSHA website at www.osha.gov

Good luck
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.