Asthma and Allergy Forum

skin rash

For the last few years I get red after a hot shower or bath. That is pretty normal. However over the last several months the redness has turned to a full blown rash that stings and slightly itches. It comes on a few minutes after getting out of the water and becomes more and more intense. Then in about 20-30 minutes it is gone. It is not all over though. That is the weird thing. It is blotchy on my arms and chest and more so on my upper back. My neck and face are the worst! I now use cetaphil soap and lotion. No soap on my face though, just water. I cooled the water temp down but that didn't help. I am allergic to the cold; I break out in hives. Am I allergic to the heat now too or the water? And if yes, then why is the rash only in those areas mentioned? I have pictures to post but I don't know how.
The red rash or “redness” you describe is probably a variation of classical hives, and hives a very common phenomenon in the general population..  There are many  “causes” of hives, some of the more common ones being:  Animal dander, pollen, mold, plants, latex, plastic tubing, exercise, heat, cold, sunlight, foods (berries, eggs, milk, nuts, tomatoes, shellfish) insect bites, and mechanical stimuli (harsh massage, vibration, excessive/sustained pressure).

The possibilities suggested in your case would include heat, cold, any soaps or body washes, each of these perhaps in combination with hard, pulsating delivery of the shower water.

The preceding is far from inclusive but should give you an idea of the types of things that might combine with your shower exposures to produce the hives.

I suggest you try showering with low flow water at or near room temperature and gentle scrubbing with the most simple, non-perfumed soap you can find.

Good luck
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.