Anyone else ever ‘outgrown’ asthma?

When I was 4 years old I had a sudden hard time breathing, I was rushed to the hospital and they put me in an oxygen tent for a few days and they said I had asthma. So every morning for 4-6 years I did morning breathing treatments and carried my inhaler. I never once used the inhaler. After a few years my parents took me to an asthma specialist and allergen guy (I don’t think I had seen one prior) he tested me for allergies and my breathing and said I showed no symptoms or evidence of having asthma. He said sometimes children outgrow it or are misdiagnosed, he thought I may have had a bad allergen attack when I was 4. He recommended stopping treatment to see what would happen and sure enough I was fine. Well over 10 years now I haven’t carried an inhaler or had a breathing treatment and I haven’t had any issues. I’ve read some places kids never truly outgrow asthma but I have had anything for well over a decade and 20 years since my only ‘attack’ I have to wonder if mine truly was asthma.
This is a pretty good article on asthma remission -

https://www.webmd.com/asthma/features/outgrowing-asthma-is-remission-possible#1

You can outgrow the symptoms, or triggers of it, but it seems they do question whether or not the changes in the lungs ever go away. The only way to know is to get a biopsy of the lungs, and that's not something done often.

I'm glad you're feeling better, though!
I think I may have been misdiagnosed though, as the article even states children are often misdiagnosed with asthma etc. and I only had the one attack at 4, have been without treatment for 10 years and run all the time with no issues. So I really believe I fall into the category of child with allergies or other breathing affecting deals and was just diagnosed incorrectly.
Yes, you could be, for sure. I hope that's the case. :)

You are reading content posted in the Asthma Community

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.