Asthma Forum

Excess coughing and mucus

I have a problem with excessive coughing, night and day.  The coughing will continue in spurts until I've successfully coughed up mucus.  Can this be symptomatic of asthma?
Yes, your cough could be due to asthma, especially if you have a history of asthma in the past.  But, there are many causes of cough, including chronic bronchitis usually due to cigarette smoking, postnasal drip, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) commonly referred to as acid reflux, and an enormous variety of lung diseases, including many different types of pneumonia.  You should have your lungs examined and get a chest x-ray.  Until the cause of your cough is determined, it will not be possible to decide-upon the appropriate therapy.

Good luck.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.