Asthma Forum

I have this tickling in my chest and a cough that won't go away!

I have recently been having this tickling sensation in my chest and it is most aggrivating at night. I keep coughing and feel like I am trying to clear my lungs but coughing just makes me cough more! At first, it starts out with a tickling sensation in my chest and then my lungs feel like they are struggling to get air in them. I start to cough to ease the problem or atleast stop it but it makes me want to cough and cough. I don't have any allergies that I know of and I don't smoke. Nor do we have any pets that I could be somehow allergic to. I don't know what could be causing this annoying and persistant cough!? PLEASE HELP!
The 3 most likely causes of the symptoms you describe are:  asthma, chronic postnasal drip from your nose and/or sinuses and acid reflux also called gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) a problem that is often worse at night.  Each of these conditions is very treatable.  One need not smoke or have allergies to get asthma or postnasal drip, although both can make the condition worse.

You should arrange to see your doctor and discuss the above with him/her.

Good luck.
A related discussion, tickle in chest was started.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.