Asthma Community

Looking for answers

My daughter (8 years old), like clockwork, ends up with croup at 2am after she has 2 days of activity.  Every weekend that we are on the go both days, I can count on being in the ER for a breathing treatment in the middle of Sunday night.  No symptoms at all during the day... happy and healthy all the way through bedtime.  After the breathing treatment the croup goes away and she is stuck with a really bad head cold.  We are very tired with this routine. Out of exasperation with our complaining, "Can't we have something to treat her without coming here?"  the doctor labeled her with exercised induced asthma.  My question is this:  does this make sense?  It seems to me that if it were induced by activity she would have breathing trouble right after or during the activity and that is not so.  It never hits until the middle of the night. We now have a puffer for her, but her lungs seem to be clear.  I don't believe this is asthma.  However, I have zero experience with this and so I'm asking you.  Does anyone else have symptoms that present like this?  Please respond.  I want to get the right diagnosis and best treatment possible.
At what age did this start?  Is she on inhaled steroids?  Does she get the seal like bark?  Does she have chronic sinnusitis?  How many episodes?  I may be able to help.
In the meantime use a cool mist humidifier at night.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.