Asthma Community

What are your asthma symptoms?

When the breathing passages become irritated or infected, an attack is triggered. The attack may come on suddenly or develop slowly over several days or hours. The main symptoms that signal an attack are as follows:wheezing,breathlessness,chest tightness,coughing, anddifficulty speaking.Symptoms may occur during the day or at night. If they happen at night, they may disturb your sleep.Wheezing is the most common symptom of an asthma attack.Wheezing is a musical, whistling, or hissing sound with breathing.Wheezes are most often heard during exhalation, but they can occur during breathing in (inhaling).Not all asthmatics wheeze, and not all people who wheeze are asthmatics.Current guidelines for the care of people with asthma include classifying the severity of asthma symptoms, as follows:Mild intermittent: This includes attacks no more than twice a week and nighttime attacks no more than twice a month. Attacks last no more than a few hours to days. Severity of attacks varies, but there are no symptoms between attacks.Mild persistent: This includes attacks more than twice a week, but not every day, and nighttime symptoms more than twice a month. Attacks are sometimes severe enough to interrupt regular activities.Moderate persistent: This includes daily attacks and nighttime symptoms more than once a week. More severe asthma attacks occur at least twice a week and may last for days. Attacks require daily use of quick-relief (rescue) medication and changes in daily activities.Severe persistent: This includes frequent severe attacks, continual daytime symptoms, and frequent nighttime symptoms. Symptoms require limits on daily activities.Just because a person has mild or moderate asthma does not mean that he or she cannot have a severe attack. The severity of asthma can change over time, either for better or for worse.
I have always had allergies but now that I am older I notice I have a wheezing when exhaling and a cough that persists intermittantly thru the day.  Doctor says my lungs are clear but I know I shouldn't hear the wheezing-something is wrong.  Should I see an allergist?
I feel suffocation and cough and facing problems of breathing
My child hads cough every ones a month or every two month it is Asthma or no? would like to know that.
My asthma symptoms include a tightness in my chest and shortness of breath. I do not usually have problems in the summer, but this summer has been awful.
For me, my symptoms are chronic coughing...wheezing....shortness of breath......I get nausea... and I feel like there is an elephant sitting on my chest.  It hurts to breath in deep.  I can only breathe shallow.  My respirations increase to double. I feel Like I can't move.
My sons asthma is pretty bad. He has attacks a few times a week and it causes him to not be able to breath when sleeping. He has shortness breathing, and and hard time at that. he had surgery 11-30-11, and they keep him over night and his oxygen level keeps going up and down and they cant keep it balanced. They want to send him home but I don't what i really want him to do stay or go for the simple fact that i don't want to have to bring him back and him getting admitted again. My son is on the nebulizer, and two inhalers and he has  to do that everyday due to asthma. It very hard to deal with my son having it because he is so small and already going threw it. He can't do some of the things he likes to do, due to asthma
how i wish  i dont have astma anymore..;( im suffering from it,i hear  whistle on my chest,cant sleep at night..specialy when stress strikes me..
My 2 year old shows symptoms of cutting off her sentences so she can catch a breath.
I have just been diagnosed with Asthma and it is taking some getting used to. I have trouble breathing, coughing a lot and have to use an inhaler more than I think I should need to.
Dose asthma cause series of probleme in the body
When I workout , 10 min into my workout I am gasping and wheezing for breath.
There are lots of things that trigger an attack for me. Here are just a couple. When I laugh more than just a slight chuckle, my throat tightens and I cough a lot. I can be around dogs in the daytime, but if I fall asleep near one, halfway through the night I wake up with a serious attack and can barely catch my breath. My lips turn blue, and my throat is so tight I can't use my rescue inhaler. I must keep a nebulizer ready at all times. It's the only thing that will stop an attack when I'm asleep, and even then, it takes a while to work.
I was married for 45 years. My wife had asthma since age 15. Normally Primatene or Bronkaid Mist would stop the attack, but they were taken off the market in 2011. From 2012 to 2016 I had to take my wife to the emergency room (ER) 8 times for breathing treatments. All of her doctors refused to give her an emergency inhaler calling her problem COPD. This time the ER doctor intubated her instead of giving her albuterol. Then because she was fighting the intubation after the asthma attack subsided they put her in a coma. Two weeks later she died after they had destroyed her kidneys and liver with too many medications and had the wrong medical records for a much larger woman. Someone needs to protect asthma patients from a misdiagnosis of COPD. I suspect the high rate of death from COPD is wrong.
My asthma symptoms are chest pressure, shortness of breath, and headache. I am not getting better despite nebulizer treatments.
I have a breathing problem, chest pain, and chest tightness; happens especially early night, but no cough. Wonder if it is asthma.
Wonder if there are certain foods I should stay away from. I noticed my asthma symptoms get worse after I eat wheat products.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.