Wheezing For No Apparent Reason

I was given a inhaler a couple of months ago because i was wheezing maybe once or twice a week, but now it seems i'm constantly wheezing. It starts as soon as i wake up or simply sitting down doing nothing, it seems to go away if i go outside in the fresh air so could i have an allergy to something indoors?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
When you are wheezing do you feel short of breath? If you do then I would say Asthma without a doubt. You can have trigger asthma, I do, in response to irritants. Usually the indoor pollution is much worse than outdoor, try opening up your window for 10 min a day to get fresh air in, using mite covers on pillows and bedding, buy a hepa vaccume cleaner and use it once a week (at least, also dust once a week with a damp cloth). I wear a face mask when I clean so I don't irritate my lungs. Try changing your sheets once a week.

In addition to all of this I would see your doctor again to ask about a long term inhaler. It sounds like you might need one unless you are just getting over being sick. Good luck! Also sometimes cafinated drinks can help with asthma (because it thins your blood).
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the reply tgal. I used to drink a lot of caffinated drinks but i cut down and started drinking water instead, i very rarely get short of breathe it just feels like a wheeze in the middle of my chest. I'll make sure i ask my GP for a long term inhaler at the moment i have Ventolin.
Helpful - 0
I started to wheeze and now I take xopenex as needed.  I am afraid of long term inhalers.  Be very careful of them as they have other side effects.  Maybe they are not noticable at first, but anything that makes one breathe will have side effects.  Pharmaceutical drugs do not cure.  In fact some of the side effects can cause one to wheeze more.   I take this medication as little as possible.  I also noticed that as soon as we turned our gas heater on in November I started to wheeze like I never have before. We are now using electric heat and I am actually improving.  Before taking pharmaceuticals, take control of your own life first by trying to find out what is triggering the wheezing.  Pharmaceuticals can be life saving, but not on a long term basis.  If, as in my case it is gas heat, eliminate it.  I also eliminated dairy products which is also helping me breath and I do much less coughing.  There are many foods that can trigger wheezing, it is simply an allergic response to outside stimuli.  I have an appointment with a Naturopathic Physician next week as all Doctor's seem to know is pharmaceutical drugs which again, do not cure.  I wish you the best.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Asthma Community

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.