Asthma Community

When prednisone isn't working?

I have had moderately controlled asthma for years. On symbicort daily and use of ventolin comes and goes. Recently I was prescribed a 5 day prednisone burst that normally makes me feel great after a day.
This time I'm not day 4 and it isn't lasting 24 hours. I'm waking up after about 18-2₩ hours of my dose and coughing like crazy with shortness of  breath. No fever or other symptoms. No infection or tonsillitis.
Not sure what to do as this is the first time pred hasn't worked and I only take it once or twice a year.
it might just be a slightly worse flare this time.  Keep using the pred and if you are still having problems at the end of the burst then talk to your doctor, you may need a longer burst of pred or an increase (temporarily) of the symbicort.  

hope that helps, let us know how it goes!
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.