Asthma Forum

constant throat clearing

In the past few weeks i have developed excess pleghm and am always clearing it out of my throat. Could this be serious- like stemming from my chest tightness and shortness of breath? i am only 31, exercise and think i am healthy. I always thought the breathing and chest tightness were anxiety but now with the mucus i dont know......
It sounds like you may have asthma.  One of the characteristics of this disease, for some people, is an increase in the amount and viscosity of mucus arising from the lungs.  On the other hand, the source of your mucus could lie in the upper airways including the nose and sinuses and the mucus could then aggravate underlying asthma that otherwise might not be a serious problem for you.

The first thing you should do is to have your doctor assess your lungs for signs of asthma and the second is to determine the source of the excessive mucus.

Good luck.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.