Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Forum

ABA THERAPY OR PRESCHOOL PROGRAM FOR CHILDREN WITH DISABILITIES

MY SON IN 4 YRS OLD, HAS HIGH FUNCTIONING AUTISM, HAS GONE THROUGH A YEAR OF ABA THERAPY RECEIVING 16 HRS A WEEK AND HAS REALLY PROGRESSED.  MY PROBLEM NOW IS THAT DUE TO SCHEDULE CHANGES AT THE CENTER WHERE HE RECEIVES THERAPY, HE WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO ATTEND HIS PRESCHOOL  SINCE THAT WOULD BE DURING THERAPY HOURS,  HIS PRESCHOOL HAS AN INCLUSION PROGRAM SO HE GETS THE SOCIAL MODELLING FROM TYPICAL KIDS, AND GETS TO PLAY WITH THEM.  ALSO THE ABA PROGRAM IS VERY CHEAP BECAUSE OF A GRANT PROGRAM, I PAY LIKE $5/HR, SO THAT IN ITSELF IS A HUGE BLESSING.  THE ONLY THING THAT IM WORRIED ABOUT IS HIM NOT BEING ABLE TO BE AROUND TYPICAL KIDS, BUT I KNOW HE HAS MADE SO MUCH PROGRESS WITH ABA AND HE GETS ONE ON ONE THERAPY, THIS IS REALLY WEIGHING ON MY MIND, IM NOT SURE WHICH CARRIES MORE WEIGHT,  MY SON IS PRETTY BRIGHT, PICKS UP THINGS PRETTY QUICKLY, I JUST AM SO TORN,  ANY INSIGHT WOULD BE APPRECIATED
Early intensive behavioral intervention is one of the most important predictors of success for young children with autism diagnoses, and the more hours of service provision you can get per week, the better.  For this reason, I would hate to see him miss out on the ABA therapy you have arranged for him.  It's great that there is a preschool that sets up integration and interaction with typically developing kids, but, I really wouldn't recommend giving up on the intensive therapy.  I would, though, suggest that you continue trying to work something out with the ABA provider to get the hours moved.  Your son having both experiences would be great.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
What to expect in your growing baby
Is the PS3 the new Prozac … or causing ADHD in your kid?
Autism expert Dr. Richard Graff weighs in on the vaccine-autism media scandal.
Could your home be a haven for toxins that can cause ADHD?