Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Help and Diagnosis

It has been suggested to me many times in my life that I may be on the autism spectrum.  Where does an adult of 38 years of age go to get diagnosed and help.  I am on SSI and have Medicaid, but everywhere (hundreds) of places I've called either only take children, or in the rare case that they take adults don't take medicaid.  Please I want to know for sure, once and for all, so I can get the  help I need to possibly got off disability and maybe be a productive member of society.  Thaniks.
1 Responses
340676 tn?1383321884
I'm surprised you are having a difficult time finding a professional who will assess you.  The autism diagnostic criteria are not age specific, and there should be no relative difficulty determining if you meet them or not.  My best suggestion is to follow up through your doctor to receive a referral to a professional that your doctor trusts.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
What to expect in your growing baby
Is the PS3 the new Prozac … or causing ADHD in your kid?
Autism expert Dr. Richard Graff weighs in on the vaccine-autism media scandal.
Could your home be a haven for toxins that can cause ADHD?