Autism & Asperger's Syndrome Forum

can i have aspergers

I am 39 about to turn 40 and I think I may have asperger's. I live alone, have only one friend, never dated, can't hold a conversation with anyone, very intelligent but am completely isolated from people. I hate changes, very anxious and paranoid when things change, can't understand what people mean when they talk to me (if joke, serious, etc). When I am in a car with someone I rarely if ever speak...I am too busy looking around...even when driving I am committed to the road and my thoughts are constantly changing. I become obsessed when I do meet someone I would like to become friends with and quickly loose them. I want to go get tested but am afraid that being diagnosed with aspergers or something else will prevent me from working. Every job I get I loose because of social interactions...no complaints  about doing my job just my interactions with people. I know I can't keep on like this but am anxious about taking the step to get tested. Even with family I can sit for hours in the room with them and never say a word. I have difficulty when alot of people are around...I NEVER join in on conversations...never know what to say. I just don't know. Am I one or not.... I am at my wits end with all of this.
Hi Willie,
We are all on the spectrum somewhere.... it is like a huge jigsaw puzzle... we all have pieces. Why don't you go and see if you have asperges, it would be a relief for you to know. Then you could go to a specialist who can help with anxiety and social skills.
Take care.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
What to expect in your growing baby
Is the PS3 the new Prozac … or causing ADHD in your kid?
Autism expert Dr. Richard Graff weighs in on the vaccine-autism media scandal.
Could your home be a haven for toxins that can cause ADHD?