Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) Community

Special Educaition for Autistic Son?

My son is 10 years old. Since he was in Kindergarten, he is always getting in trouble at school. Being distruptive, rude and not staying on tasks. When he gets in trouble, he completely shuts down and won't speak or respond to anyone talking to him. My husband and I have been doing a lot of thinking about talking to his principal about him being part (or full) time in the school's special education classes. He does not adapt like the other kids in his class, and I don't want him to keep getting in trouble at school. It's not healthy for him or us as parents. I want my child to succeed at school, not get in trouble every day.

Does anyone have any advice on this or have gone through the same thing?
My son was out of the box too.  He has a delay called sensory integration disorder.  How does your son do with leaning?  There is something called a 504 Plan that might be good for your son that would allow accommodations to help him be more successful at school.  My son gets extra time on tests, seating on the periphery of the room, movement breaks.  You can have him evaluated for autism spectrum but look into sensory integration disorder as well.  Let me know how he is doing!
My son was actually diagnosed with High Functioning Autism this year, I forgot to mention that. His principal and I have talked about a 504 plan. I just need to fill out the paperwork.
I was diagnosed with high functioning autism at the age of 13.
Hi JM1998, how old are you now?  How are things for you?  My son has sensory processing disorder and a good friend of his was diagnosed as high function autism at age 15.  He was happy to finally understand some things about himself.  :>)  
Hi there.  Happy new year.  How is it going?  Definitely fill out the paper work. And getting a 504 in place now will save your son. Each year that passes into the school years, that 504 education plan becomes harder to obtain. Which is a shame but the reality of school systems.  If you have the support of your principal to get this done for your son, DO IT for sure.  Your son is a differentiated learner with his diagnosis and deserves accommodations and support.  :)  

How did the holidays go with him? That can be a tricky time with out of the box kids.
I just wanted to see how things are going for you and your son?  
Personally if you feel like you are doing enough as a parent I trust you. It not easy raising an autistic child and can be overwhelming. Ask yourself is this school proving me with the love and understand that I need? is this the right school for my ASD (autism) chid. I think the school needs some kind of responbility.