I have an adorable 27 month old toddler that I have been very concerned about. I am desperately looking for some help. He was diagnosed with a mild gross motor and speech delay at his 2 year check, although I had raised concerns about his delayed walking since he was 15 months. He sat at 7 months, crawled at 9 months and walked at 21 months.
However, I was told it is normal and constitutional delay only and that he would catch up.
DS has always been a very social, happy infant and toddler. Loves cuddling and initiating hugs. However, the past few weeks I have noticed some more red flags.
1. He has very selective hearing. He won't respond to his name at times and it seems he is deliberately ignoring me
2. Does not follow 2 step commands mostly. This is becoming more frequent
3. Does not refer to himself as I, mine and myself. He does at times say mine and point towards himself, but mostly it is his name
4. He is able to sing along most of the nursery rhymes. But cannot string 3 words sentences apart from 'bye bye mama/dada/monkey or whatever he is waving to'
5. Is suddenly becoming a lot more shy and would avoid eye contact with new people the first time he sees them.
6. He is not particularly preoccupied with odd repeated activities however he LOVES watching videos on Youtube and he can operate any phone, tablet and laptop.
7. Does not follow conversations and has very poor attention span and would not listen to me tell him a story as he gets bored too easily.
He has been seen by the community paediatrician but am still waiting for the speech therapy referral.
Some days it would seem he is absolutely ok. On other days I would be worrying myself sick if it is autism. Nobody has helped me and think I am just being paranoid.
Would love some input from people who have gone through this.