Why does my son scratch himself when he is angry?

Why does my son scratch himself when he is angry or mad. When he is mad with his classmates he tends to take it out on himself.
My 9 year old son used to punch himself in the face,when he would get a answer wrong at school,or something small to us
Before i had him diagnosed I used to tell him "Kyle"your teachers are going to think I beat you or expect you to be perfect,here it was  part of it
My son would never hit anyone,just himself.
I finally got him to tell me why one day,and he said he feels he needs punished,for wrong answers,etc.....
I will tell you everything I did to get him to quit would not work,finally one day I told him every time you hit yourself,you are hurting GOD,instantly he quit,he has done a couple times here and there,but not daily
Good luck to you