ANA high, what could it be

Hi, my name is Gina and I am a 50 yo female.  I have not felt well for some time but the docs have not been able to discern a cause.  I would say my chief complaint is overwhelming fatigue.  But other symptoms are weight gain, dry skin, hair loss, cold intolerance, fatigue, recurrent sinus infections/issues, constipation, bloating.  More recently I seem to be retaining water and wake up with stiff joints.  My knees currently make a squishy sound when I go up and down stairs -- I did read that this can be a change with age, but still concerning.

A few years ago I saw a derm due to the hair loss.  I've lost most body hair (except pubic, sorry if tmi) and that has been the case for years, but when my head hair started falling out an alarming rate and you could see so much scalp, that sent me to the doc for answers.  Among other things, she ran an ANA, which came back slightly elevated.  I was then referred to a rheumatologist who has run every test imaginable and only come back with an elevated (and fluctuating) ANA.  I have a few possible symptoms of SLE, but not enough to be diagnosed.  

I have the stiff joints and tingling hands and feet that may lean to RA, but all those tests have been negative.  And,  since I am overweight suspect that that may be a side effect.

I have acquired some bad habits in order to deal with the fatigue -- lots of coffee and something sweet for that rush.  It is not the cause of my fatigue, but I know not helping the matter or with the weight gain.  However, I don't eat sweets everyday nor do a eat a ton and it doesn't explain the situation fully, but honestly, I wish there was a drug I could take to not feel so fatigued.  If I was not so tired all the time, I know I could make better decisions and have more willpower and exercise.  I'm just too tired.  I eat healthy otherwise, fish, chicken, pork, veggies, etc.

I've had my thyroid checked and my TSH fluctuates around 2.0, and my FT3 and FT4 are low in their ranges and never change.  They are always the same every time I have had them tested, not sure if that is expected.  My RT3 is in the upper part of the range.  My doc says that it is all normal.  No thyroid antibodies.

Any other idea?  I once felt that I really wanted to know the cause, but now I just want some way to not feel so tired.  It can't be right and I do feel like I'm missing out on so much b/c of pure exhaustion.

Thx in advance for any input,
Gina

You are reading content posted in the Autoimmune Disorders Community