Aa
A
A
A
Close
Autoimmune Disorders Community
4.06k Members

Alopecia Areata

I have a severe case of Alopecia Areata which started 2 months ago and is all over my head.  I was wondering what some of the underlying causes might be.  I have had blood tests for:

STDs  -- all negative
red blood cell count - normal
thyroid - normal

I have had severe allergies in the past, but nothing definite.

I have taken up drinking very heavily due to stress, which my doctor says just makes it a lot worse.  I have always been very stressful, but apparently it is usually something else that kicks it off.

If anyone with this disease can tell me what causes have been confirmed I would appreciate it.

I'm 45 with no other health problems -- and don't worry I am getting treatment from a dermatologist and my doctor for anxiety.
2 Responses
377600 tn?1225167036
Don't just have your thyroid levels checked; have your thryoid antibody levels checked.
My hair fell out in patches because I have been diagnosed with Grave's.  I had a thyroid storm, and now I have Hashimoto's.  I have antibodies for both in high numbers.

502341 tn?1212025243
well  i started loseing my hair at the age of 25 it was falling out in big clumps my doc i had back then told me it was alopeica areta however they did blood test for my thyroid said it was normal im now 33 and some spots grow back but it is growing back pure white and then more falls out in other areasnot only that but my armpit hairs sometimes fall out then other times they are so brittle you touch them and they crumble and break my eye brows also the hairs fall out and grows back pure white im trying to figure out really what is going on i have had alot of health problems can anyone give me insight on this
Have an Answer?
Top Autoimmune Diseases Answerers
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
How eating more salt may actually save your life.
A deeper look into the relationship between salt and hypertension.