Autoimmune Disorders Community

Anyone else?

So this is me today , male aged 57, pretty good health despite the following over the years, guess my question, am I alone or typical:

Age 23, needed a colonostopy, came on out of the blue (within 3 months, only option for surgeon was operate to remove part of bowel, no choice), no issues since, just deal with bag etc, never off work.
Age 52, woke one morning with a numb face, off to doc who sent me straight to hospital, checked out for a stroke (no sign of any heart related issue), blood rest revaeled significantly high blood sugar, diagnosed with type 1 diabetis, bear in mind I am 6 ft and weight very good for this height 13 stone. Again insulin regularised and touch wood well controlled, everyone happy. Diabetes specialist not convinced re issue with numb face.
Age 54, after an episode of double vision (now gone/vision back to normal) and several MRI scans I was diagnosed with RRMS. Basically okay, some balance issues, stopped playing golf, I was good but was frustrated with my balance from time to time on the course leading to poorer play, tiredness at times but laugh it off and can close eyes for 5 mins and feel back to normal and lastley mood swings, still attempting to overcome.
Love to hear from anyone with similar medical history, for their own thoughts on how they cope.

thanks
Intermittent neurological symptoms linked to diabetes 1 maybe associated with long-term complications of unregulated sugar levels, during the prolonged (usually unsymptomatic) onset of diabetes 1, as well as during treatment, which may cause occasional under-regulation, if not monitored very strictly!
The manifestation of symptoms may appear sudden, yet the onset of this condition could have  possibly started years before!
It would be wise to look into this deeper, as a possibility of a differential diagnosis.
The  bowel resection, could  also have a role in this, despite the fact it was performed many years ago,
however, I cannot discern much due to the lack of any details.
My suspicion would be, under certain assumptions, a "functional" deficiency of B12, more specifically a deficiency in the active form of B12 (Methylocobalamin) and perhaps other vitamins, nutrients and minerals, as well.
Best wishes,
Niko
I have four autoimmune diseases and the gene mentioned for my diseases in particular is HLA-DR5. In your case HLA-DR3 and HLA-DR4 are both strongly associated with type 1 diabetes. If you check out Wikipedia's articles HLA-DR3 and HLA-DR4 you will see other conditions associated with these genes which includes multiple sclerosis. I found a very interesting article from Diet Doctor on the LCHF diet (low carb high fat).

"How does an LCHF diet work with type 1 diabetes? Here’s a one-year update:

Today I celebrate 1 year with LCHF, or I could say that I celebrate 1 year in good health! I can certainly endorse the LCHF diet as being good for type 1 diabetics.

Besides a more stable blood sugar and a more easily managed diabetes, I’ve gotten rid of pain in my legs, headaches, GI problems, and constant throat infections. Previously, I had recurring yeast infections, but during this past year I haven’t had a single one!

I only need one injection daily, instead of the previous 5-9. I eat delicious food, and I don’t miss anything. I have more energy and I’m happier than ever before! During the past year I’ve also gotten to know, and come in contact with, a lot of great people through Instagram and my blog!

I could go on about more positive things, but now I’m off to make dinner. A fatty, smoked rainbow trout to honor the day!"

Great info Red Star!

I have recommended the low carb high fat to so many people suffering from
Parkinson's, Epilepsy, MS, FMS, Arthritis and other serious conditions including Diabetes, I have lost count.
The ones who were able to stay on this strict regimen, ALL improved and some experienced total remission!

It's important to note that the best fats to consume are the the medium chain fatty acids (I'm a big proponent of coconut oil ), which are metabolized in the liver and immediately used for energy.

With this diet there's very little demand for insulin and if combined with a GFDF diet it may even lessen auto-immune activity!

Another great benefit is the positive effects on the brain.

There's an interesting article in Psych Today titled "Your Brain on Ketones",
explaining some of the science, in layman's terms. Just do a search.

Best wishes,
Niko

Thanks Niko. :)
Thanks to both TheLightSeeker and Red_Star, a lot of food for though and action, brilliant. Jaz
Glad to help out.  Also do give B12 a try (sublingual preferrably) as Niko mentioned since I've read people with MS can have lower levels. I had B12 deficiency myself which caused permanent nerve damage.