Autoimmune question

About 2 months ago I developed extremely cold hands and feet that get painful and turn pale white.
I went to my doctor and she did a panel of blood tests. I had a slightly low WBC count, a trace of protein in my urine and a positive ANA (level was not listed). I was sent to a rheum. and he sent me for another set of ANA tests to check for different things. I had the test on Feb 4th and it's now March 3rd. I haven't received any results and am freaking out! Is this normal not to hear back? I have another appt. with him on March 16th. Since my last appt. I've developed "brain fog", and a feeling of being out of it...trouble concentrating too with sinus pressure. I'm really freaking out that it could be Lupus or MS. Does anyone else have these symptoms or know what this might be???

Thanks for your help.

Hey,
My hands and feet get extremely cold..and reddish/purple, too..and one of my dr.' s diagnosed it as Raynods...which is no big deal..so maybe your should check that out.
Peace and love,
Sarah
Hi and wlecome to MedHelp.

The fingers turning white is called Raynaud's.  Although it does often occur w/ lupus, it also occurs w/ fibromyalgia and other illnesses.  It takes more than Raynauds and an elevated ANA to dx a person w/ lupus.  There would be severe fatigue, joint pain and rashes if you had lupus.  
I also have Raynauds. My doctor sent also gave me an ANA test which came back positive at first then negative the 2nd time. But I have been diagnosed with a couple of other autoimmune diseases Pernicious anemia is when your body doesn't absorb vitamin B12 this could cause brain fog. I also have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and have low vitamin D levels. But your hands and feet sound like Raynauds to me. Keep us posted and know that you are not alone.
Thank you so much for your comments.
I just got my blood work back...
I had an elevated sedation rate of 40, a positive RNP factor, a negative ANA and Vitamin D deficient.
For the past month I've had some additional symptoms: lack of concentration (kind of brain fog), pains in my hands, feet, back of knees, upper arms and back (not extremely painful, but annoying), cold hands and feet, heel pain and some fatigue. My doctor wants me to come back in 3 months to be retested. He said that the results were too vague and that I needed more symptoms before I could be diagnosed.
Does anyone share these symptoms? Do you think they are signs of lupus? Has anyone tried to be treated by integrated therapy, diet or supplements. I'm so scared that I'm going to wake up one morning with a full blown flare. I'd like to treat my symptoms before they get worse.
Thanks so much for your help and kindness :)
I know lupus is very hard to diagnose. Have you ever had a rash across your nose? Or are you very sensitive to sunlight? There are so many autoimmune diseases and sometime it takes a while to figure out what is going on. I started out with Raynauds which often occurs when you have underlying autoimmune diseases. Did you ask your doctor about Raynauds? I hate to say but it seems so many of the same symptoms exist in autoimmune and it takes a while to figure it all out. Good luck and please keep us informed.
I think your dr. is correct.  Autoimmune diseases are very complex and difficult to dx.  The certainly can't be dxed w/ lab results only.  The correlating symptoms must be there too.  Although the elvated sed rate is a screeming sign that something is going on.  They didn't want to try something to see if it would help you feel better?

OK, you once had an elevated ANA.  Find out what that level was and the pattern.  These are YOUR records and you have a right to have a copy of them.  ANA levels fluctuate, although I would certainly think w/ an elevated sed rate, it too would be elevated.  My advice to you is SPEND TIME IN THE SUN PRIOR TO YOUR NEXT ANA TEST!  If you have lupus, the sun exposure will cause the ANA to spike.

Another bit of advice is to NOT STRESS.  Worry has never changed anything and never will.  Stress only aggrevates symptoms.  

You asked about intergrated therapy.  I'm not sure what that is.  But I've found some things that help.  One of them is magnesium.  If the dr. didn't put you on vit D, you need to be on vit D3 (not D2-synthetic).  There is an herb that boost the immune system and is recommended for mild lupus - it is Cats Claw.  Trust me, it is a plant (herb).  They call it that because the plant resembles a cat's claw.  It can be found in pil form in a health food store.  

More than anything, pray and ask God to give you wisdom and rest in HIM.  We know you have something going on because of the sed rate and RNP.  What was your RNP level?

Praying for you,
Kara
Hi Kara,

Thank you so much for your advice and kind words :)
I really appreciate your response.

My rheumy just told me to make a follow up appt. for 3-4 months and to come in sooner if I have any additional symptoms :( That's why I was going to try eliminating things from my diet to see if that would help. Do you know if diet can help with the symptoms? I was told that the integrated doctor combines regular practice with alternative
treatment also...like acupuncture, stress management, IGE diet testing and herbs.

Do you know if a sedation rate of 40 is considered high? I don't know much about these tests...he only told me that the RNP was positive but didn't give me a number.

Thanks again for your help!

God bless you.
Spoony
Hi Denee22 :)
Thank you for your comments.
What have you been diagnosed with?
You started with Raynaud's also.

Thanks.
I started out with Raynauds about 2 years ago then shortly I was diagnosed with Pernicious anemia, Hashimotos Thyroidis, Endometroisis, and a low vitamin D. I have a family history of autoimmune diseases and hope this is all that will affect me. But alot of autoimmune diseases have the same symptoms and are hard to diagnose. One of the main things to look for in lupus is what they call a butterfly rash across the nose. Good luck and keep us posted on any new results.  
I'm not familar  w/ sedation rate.  Do you mean oxygen sedation rate?  Or sed rate?

I have read many testimonies where a raw fruit and vegetable diet has reversed some autoimmune diseases.  I do eat more raw stuff, but have a hard time sticking with something like that.  You could give tha a try.  
Thank you so much for your comments!
I'm going to a Dr. on Thursday who uses integrated treatment (medical and all natural therapy) to help with autoimmune disorders. I will keep you all updated and let you know if
he suggests anything that may be helpful.

Thanks again!

God Bless you :)
Spoony

You are reading content posted in the Autoimmune Disorders Community