Aa
A
A
A
Close
Autoimmune Disorders Community
4.09k Members

Ehlers Danlos and Photosensitivity???

Have you ever seen Ehlers Danlos present with extreme photosensitivity (malar rash without sparing naso folds and reaction to both fluorescent and outdoor UV on arms, thighs, chest, face and neck)? ANA negative; Celiac panel normal; thyroid normal; panel normal; etc. (been thoroughly tested - all normal)
2 Responses
I too have Ehlers-Danlos (mixed 1 &3) and have the same kind of extreme photosensitivity and facial rash. The dermatologist I went to specifically stated that this was Rosacea and also a side-effect of my skin being more permiable than most peoples because of the connective-tissue disorder. It is considered to act like an Auto-immune disorder but doesn't show up on ANA (mine is always negative when they check).

Also, I have rashes that appear in odd patterns on my skin other than my face that turned out to be a disorder called Pitryasis Lichenoides a chronic form of pityriasis rosea which causes eczema-like issues but also joint pain and feeling ill when it "flares up."  These diagnoses make it much more understandable to me than just "fibromyalgia" associated with the Ehlers-Danlos. However, there are no good treatments for these other than the Rosacea which can be treated, but the sun sensitivity is just par for the course.  I did find though that taking Omega fatty acids helped me reduce the photosensitivity and my rashes a lot of the time.
620923 tn?1452919248

Hi...I too have EDS< but not the issue with the sun...I did for a short time after I had surgery and I think it was more related to meds I was on then the EDS.....

And I wanted to invite u both to the EDS group here on MedHelp.....http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Ehlers-Danlos-Syndrome/show/417?camp=msc

"selma"

Have an Answer?
Top Autoimmune Diseases Answerers
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.