Autoimmune Disorders Community

Elevated Anti-TPO antibodies 141 (<34)

Hi I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and I had a blood test to check my antibodies. They came back with my Anti-TPO antibodies at 141 (<34) and I have had a lot of symptoms which I am not sure are down to the elevation in antibodies or not. I was on Levothyroxine but since my Free T3 and Free T4 were both high and out of range I was advised to skip a few days' doses. Whenever I go to my doctor about my symptoms they always say the symptoms I experience are normal and that they are not things that need urgent attention. They also say they do not treat patients based on how they feel and I have felt horrendous from this afternoon. I was advised by my endocrinologist to go gluten-free for a few weeks, which I did and did so very strictly and my antibodies dropped but now they have risen again and I don't know why.

Any help on the above would be great. :)
Thyroid regulation should not be according to anti-thyroid autoantibodies or standard serum thyroid testing.
You may need to find an Endo who treats patients more according to their symptoms (look into Dr. Barnes Thyroid protocols-there are a number of doctors who follow his methods and treat thyroid patients more successfully, than conventional endos.)

The elevated antibodies, could be attributed to the use of cosmetics, shampoo and other products who you may not suspect they contain gluten!

Most hypothyroid sufferers have gluten intolerance and don't even know it!
The gluten molecules-mainly from gmo grains- resemble the TPO
(Thyroid Peroxidase - an enzyme necessary for the signalling of Thyroid hormone production as you probably know by now) molecules and thus the immune system in its response against gluten, attacks the TPO in the Thyroid also!

So you must have a complete list of all the "illegal" products, foods and drinks that contain gluten, including the ones listing ingredients disguising the presence of gluten!!!

In regards to Grains/carbs/gluten intolerance:
Look into Gliadin test (urine), by Cyrex labs. They test 12 forms-not just the alpha ordered by most doctors- of gliadins regarding gluten intolerance (not necessarily digestive).
Now they can also test which part of the body is affected!

I hope this helps, but please note that my comments, do not constitute medical advice.

Best wishes.
Niko
People go to the doctors for symptoms. To say they aren't going to treat you based on symptoms? Really? O_o lol.

Of interest, I've read the fingertips have vertical wrinkles if you are gluten intolerant. My fingertips are smooth but I already know I have no issues with gluten. I do have lactose intolerance though.

TPOAb may lower with selenium (many studies show this) and I noted some improvement myself eating brazil nuts. After starting exercise I've noted I get hyperthyroid more often (although that took a few months of exercise to see that happen) and that looks to be due to increased endophin levels (boss of the immune system) improving Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

When I had severely depleted stomach acid (due to overmedicating for a year - long story there) and that was surely putting a lot of stress on the immune system from poor absorption to overworking the organs. When I tested my TPOAb levels again they had skyrocketed from 510 to 1900. Be nice to your immune system! :)

I'm currently reading a book called The Hypothyroid Diet by Kevin Dobrzynski.  Here is a small section of the introduction...

"You're already aware that you have hypothyroidism; you're familiar with the symptoms, and you may even know how your thyroid works.

What you may not know is how diet plays a crucial role in feeling better and losing weight with hypothyroidism.

Hopefully, your doctor has done a good job at diagnosing and medicating your condition. This will keep your blood test results within the normal range of someone with no thyroid problems.

However, there's a good chance you may still be dealing with symptoms from this condition.

This is because a majority of hypothyroid patients have Hashimoto's thyroiditis - which is an autoimmune disorder.

The problem is not that your thyroid is broken, but that your immune system is not functioning correctly and it's inadvertently attacking your thyroid.

In order for you to start feeling better and losing weight, you must support your immune system. If you do this, your immune system and metabolism will function at a much higher level.

Immune system support means removing toxins from the body, eliminating food allergies/sensitivities, decreasing stress, and giving your body the necessary nutrients to support your thyroid and speed up metabolism.

Most people eat to the detriment of their health and slow their metabolism through poor food choices, which also downgrades the immune system.

Substances like alcohol, sugar, caffeine, refined grains, fruit juices, sodas, processed foods, fast foods, and nicotine all place excessive internal stress on all systems of the body, including the immune system."
Thanks. Wow, long answer!

I don't know what products I own contain gluten. I know what foods contain gluten and I've been ruthless in throwing chocolate, biscuits, bread away.

I have done only 2 readings for a metabolic chart, it's not suggested by Dr Barnes. My temperature yesterday was 36.2 degrees and my temperature today is 35.9 degrees. Do I need to do it for longer than a few days?

I don't wear cosmetics every day and as for the shampoo (I don't use conditioner as it weighs my hair down) it contains these:

Aqua, sodium laureth sulfate, cocamidopropyl betaine, cocamide MEA, Dimethiconol, TEA-dodecylbezenesulfate, glycol distearate, trimethylsilylamodimethicone, laureth-7, laureth-5, parfum, sodium chloride,  guarhydroxypropyltrimonium, chloride, carbomer, formaldehyde, lawsonia inermis leaf extract, disodium EDTA, herbal protein ester, sodium hydroxide, ricinus communis, castor seed oil, citric acid.

Shower gel contains:

Aqua, sodium laureth sulfate, cocamidopropyl betaine, PEG-7 Glycerol cocoate, glycerin, glyceryl glucoside, prunus amygdalus dulcis oil, aloe barbadensis leaf juice powder, sodium chloride, polyquarternium-7, PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil, styrene, acrylates copolymer, citric acid, PEG-200, hydrogenated glyceryl stearate SE, sodium benzoate, benzyl alcohol, alpha-isomethyl ionone, coumarin, parfum.

Toothpaste contains:

Sodium fluoride

Mouthwash contains:

Aqua, paraffinum liquidum, sotbitol, sodium saccharin, mentha arvensis, sodium phosphate, cetylpyridinium chloride, limonene, sodium fluoride, triclosan, CI 42090, CI 17200, CI 61565, sodium fluoride.

Out of all these I thought the shampoo was pretty safe to use as it says on the container that all ingredients in it are natural extracts.

I don't know about anything else but if anything else comes to mind I'll post them.

Hi there,  I have vertical wrinkles on the undersides of my fingertips. You know like how your fingertips get after coming out of a bath, shower or swimming pool? They look like that, a bit prune like. That might not be the same thing though. The doctors have told me my digestive symptoms are not related to gluten sensitivity but I am sure that they are:

- Bowel movement 10-20 minutes after eating a biscuit/chocolate, coming out as rabbit pellets
- Bowel movement 30-40 minutes after eating bread, coming out as rabbit pellets.
- Gas or bloating after eating pasta
- Fatigue after eating pasta

Symptoms I currently experience at the moment are:

- Sweating, so much so that the bed sheets stick to my skin
- Anxious,  keyed up
- Weight loss, very dramatic in which my bones are now showing through my skin
- Headaches
- Difficulty swallowing with some choking fits, ultrasound normal
- Front of neck swollen a little
- Eye pain
- Nausea, so bad that it has made me want to vomit
- Racing heart, has sometimes doubled from 41-63 to 71-87.
- Body temperature has been 35.9 degrees to m36.2 degrees

I was advised to reduce the levothyroxine from 125mcg to 112.5mcg and skip a few days' doses. I did accidentally take a full 125mcg dose of levothyroxine and then 25mcg of cytomel on one of the days I should have skipped doses, however.

I did buy a book online, it's called Why Do I Still Have Low Thyroid Symptoms When My Labs Are Normal by Datis Kharrazian. It's quite informative although doesn't touch on other things that concern me.

I bought a saliva test kit online as advised by some of my thyroid friends. I have already done 2 samples and will be doing the next one but the 2nd one I did is a murky yellow colour. I know my mouth has been dry and I'm wondering if it's blood and that the lab won't accept the sample. :(
By fingertips I mean the fingerpads. There are pictures if you want to check out the blog: what chicks talk about - wrinkly fingers show gluten intolerance.

My heart rate is high 90's/100 + range when I overmedicate and my temp is over 37C as well. Prior to starting medication my temp was around 35C. Not sure of heart rate at the time. I can't feel my heart rate anyway until it's like 250bpm. That's weird lol.

Sounds like you are overmedicating but the body temp doesn't match it though. That's weird too. :)
Thanks for directing me to the what chicks talk about page. Yes, those pictures are what I have!

It's weird about body temperature being low but with over medicated symptoms. I'm not sure if my thyroid hormones levels are relevant but here they are:

Free T3 6.9 range between 4.1 and. 6.7
Free T4 25.1 range between 12 and 22.
TSH 0.36 range between 0.2 and 4.2.

Unless I'm either in between hypo and hyper phases, which is probably far fetched, coming from me and I ought to know if I take the stuff to fix it LOL, or there is an underlying adrenal issue at work.
Yeah I figured that is what you had. Gluten intolerance!  Thankfully I can eat cheese due to hardly any lactose in it. I adore cheese. Gluten intolerance sounds far worse. There are so many non food products containing gluten too.  Well those labs show you are taking too much which matches the sweating, weight loss etc.

When I started thyroid medication I had untreated adrenal fatigue. I had to start medication straight away due to severe bradypnea so I knew I had to ride out the symptoms of untreated adrenals but I had no idea just how bad it was going to be!

If I was conscious from my drugged like coma, I could barely move or speak (able to slur out a few words at best), plus other symptoms such as numbness and dizziness. I posted the adrenal home tests on another answer if you are interested...

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Adrenal-Insufficiency/ACTH-Stimulation-Test/show/1742344
Thanks,  I did the three tests.

Blood pressure - Rose from 122/82 lying down to 137/87 standing up.  The heart rate went from 58 lying down to 75 standing up.

White line - stayed white and didn't go red.

Iris contraction - wavered between dilating and contracting when light was flashed into eyes before eventually dilating.
Looks like moderate adrenal fatigue from those results.  Do you have any labs done for vitamins and minerals?
Yes, my mineral and vitamin results are:

Magnesium 0.8 range between 0.70 to 1.00
Ferritin 21 range between 30 to 400
Folate 4.9 range between 4.1 to 18.7
Vitamin D 59 range between 50 to 75 for suboptimal
Vitamin B12 362 range between 180 to 900
Liver function test was satisfactory, something was flagged up but my doctor didn't let me see what it was when I asked for a copy of the blood test
Full blood count again was satisfactory with something flagged up on that,  but the doctor again didn't let me see what it was that was flagged up and brought the test into a satisfactory reading.
Magnesium serum isn't accurate since the body will keep magnesium levels in normal range in the blood at the expense of the cells. If you have a severe deficiency then the body won't be able to do that. I have magnesium deficiency symptoms overnight if I eat sugar! :)

I've read ferritin levels need to be at least 70 ng/mL for an extended period of time to slow hair shedding and encourage new hair growth.

Optimal calcium absorption occurs with a vitamin D level greater than 79.8 nmol/L (32 ng/mL). Optimal disease prevention (vitamin D deficiency is highly linked to numerous diseases including cancer) at a minimum of 125 nmol/L (50 ng/mL).

Vitamin B12 serum range is too low and symptoms are well noted to occur in "normal" range.  In Japan and various countries in Europe, the lower limit for B12 is between 500-550 pg/mL (369 - 405.9 pmol/L). I'd go higher than that!

I request all my labs (pathology notes are very informative too).  Whatever is flagged in red on the docs computer I'll see when it's printed out. :)
Forgot folate! :)  Vitamin B12 deficiency can trap folate in an unusable form and lead to folate deficiency; this is called the folate trap.  When I increased my vitamin B12 my folate rose as well. My cortisol was very depleted with severe vitamin B12 deficiency. Your levels are severe but they aren't optimal either.

From the article - Vitamins That Help Balance Cortisol...

"Vitamin B12 is important for proper energy levels and blood cell formation. Deficiencies in this vitamin can lead to adrenal stress and high cortisol levels or cortisol depletion as your body attempts to make up for the vitamin deficiency by using this hormone's overdrive mechanism, which is usually reserved for emergencies, illness and other stressful events."
Sorry I meant aren't severe. Edit button please! lol.
Thanks, in response to your first reply:

Funny you should say that about magnesium deficiency in the evening after you eat sugar! If one of the symptoms of magnesium deficiency is pins and needles in feet and legs I get that, but only when in bed or have just gotten up in the morning. I eat sugar in the evenings too. Either chocolate or a yoghurt.

I've got vitamin d, vitamin b12, iron and multivitamin supplements at home, but since it now looks like I need to avoid gluten I'm thinking that the rest of the saliva test needs to be done before I look to take any supplements.

No worries about the other reply. :) I'm surprised that my doctor didn't mention my bottom range folate level. It's pretty bad but I think the multivitamin contains folate.
I've had severe magnesium deficiency and had a very long list of symptoms. Yes one of them is tingling! The list below isn't all of the symptoms by a long shot and doesn't list severe symptoms I had from hallucinations to seizures. My mitral heart valve is calcified poor thing. Two symptoms that I didn't even know were magnesium symptoms were severe chocolate craving and nail biting. I like magnesium a whole lot! :)

Excerpt from Best Magnesium Citrate - How to Fix Heart Palpitations or Irregular Heart Beat...

"It has been found that 4 out of 5 people in the US (or 80%) are deficient in magnesium. If you are experiencing 2 or 3 of the following symptoms, you probably are one of them.

- heart palpitations, heart arrhythmias
- chest tightness
- urinary spasms
- constipation
- menstrual cramps, premenstrual irritability
- difficulty swallowing, a feeling of a lump in the throat
- insomnia
- light sensitivity, loud noise sensitivity
- high blood pressure
- numbness, tingling, zips, zaps and other vibratory sensations
- being uptight or prone to temper
- muscle twitches, soreness, cramps, spasms, tension, tightness
- back aches, neck pain
- headaches, migraines
- jaw joint problems
- needing to sigh a lot, unable to take a deep breath
- hiccups
- leg spasms, charlie horses, restless leg syndrome
- anxiety, panic attacks
- hyperactivity
- angina"
Just to add, refined sugar also raises blood glucose and insulin quickly so that could be the issue with the tingling too.  My tingling/numbness was bad when I had pre diabetes.
Gosh, sorry to hear about your mitral valve.

I don't have severe chocolate craving (I don't think I have) or nail biting but I do bite the inside of my cheek and my lips, sometimes.

Symptoms I have of the ones you kindly provided:

- Heart palpitations. The heart rate doubling I think is palpitations. At least that was what a health advisor told me! Heart arrythmias, if that's where the heart rate goes fast then back to normal and then slow, yes, I have that from time to time.

- Chest tightness - I sometimes get that but I have always put that down to the iron deficiency.

- Urinary spasms - not sure about that. I get spasms in my bladder that come in waves but that's when I need to go!

- Constipation - yes, definitely, but have put that down to the Hashimoto's.

- Menstrual cramps - yes, very bad cramps. Premenstrual irritability, yes but not all the time, very rarely.

- Difficulty swallowing - yes, definitely.

- Insomnia -it doesn't usually take much for me to wind down but I have had two nights where I have had vivid nightmares that have woken me up.

- Light sensitivity - only when I step outside first thing during the day and the sun is in my eyes. My eyes water when this happens.

- Loud noise sensitivity - sometimes.

- High blood pressure - from time to time, my blood pressure is mostly normal. I don't know what the two high readings were all about!

- Numbness, tingling, zips, zaps and other vibratory sensations - Tingling I get in my feet and legs in bed or first thing when I get up in the mornings. I have had vibrations in my spine, not sure if I still get them.

- Being uptight - I close up in public places and in large crowds. I can be prone to temper in these situations, too.

- Muscle twitches - in my eyelids and upper thighs. Soreness - I've noticed some soreness in my elbows. As if I have a cut there when I rub it. When I look there isn't and then I think I'm imagining it. Cramps - yes, especially when walking because I get them in the backs of my calves. Tension - not very much. Tightness - in my hips, and again, when walking.

- Back aches - not really.

- Neck pain - I get some neck pain in the sides on either side of my thyroid, mainly the right side. I put that down to thyroid problems, as in the goitre coming back and pressing on the lymph nodes or muscles there.

- Headaches - yes, I get headaches first thing in the morning and they last pretty much up until the late afternoon some days. Migraines - I used to get them but not so much now.

- Jaw joint problems - I get some cracking/popping in my jaw sometimes. And pain.

- Needing to sigh a lot - yes, as if I've run out of air. I put that down to the iron deficiency.

- Hiccups - yes, quite badly. They can last for about an hour sometimes.

- Leg spasms - don't think so.

- Charlie horses - don't think so.

- Restless leg syndrome - well, I get cold, wet feelings on my legs when in bed some nights and when I move them it helps and the sensation comes back. I think that's restless leg syndrome, so I think so.

- Anxiety - yes.

- Panic attacks - if something particularly scary (to me) happens, yes.

- Hyperactivity - I think it depends on my mood. If I am irritable I have more of a need to be more active. I guess it's like being "wired" or "keyed up". So maybe.

- Angina - I get chest pain in my heart area (this has been very recent) but I don't get this pain when I'm walking uphill. My grandmother suffers from angina and uses nitroglycerin so I know of some of the symptoms of angina as she told me, but I don't think I have that.

I don't think I have pre-diabetes as my HbA1c was 33 and the range I think for that is 48. But I didn't fast and my blood glucose was also quite good. Again, I didn't fast for that either but the doctor doesn't tell me these things or when doing a full blood panel they mention a blood glucose fasting! However, I don't think I should be eating refined sugar as much now.
My blood glucose has always been normal. My oral glucose tolerance test showed up pre diabetes plus my insulin was sky high just confirming what I already knew from my numerous symptoms - severe insulin resistance.

Many symptoms of magnesium deficiency are also symptoms of other conditions too of course. It can't hurt to try magnesium to see if any symptoms improve.

Thanks, I have a magnesium spray that I just apply to my arms and legs. Apparently it's meant to produce a tingling sensation on the areas sprayed on. It worked the first time which made me think I was magnesium deficient but when I used it again the next day there was no tingling. I then thought that perhaps my magnesium levels had magically risen within a day! The spray wasn't cheap either!
I have used magnesium spray myself but I'd have that stinging feeling and I'd be splashing water on my skin to get rid of it.  I used magnesium chelated with amino acids supplements to correct my severe magnesium deficiency but am currently drinking a glass of delicious Voost effervescent magnesium and multi vitamin daily when I go walking on the treadmill.

This is from Ancient Minerals - FAQ page....

"I EXPERIENCE SOME TINGLING WHEN I APPLY THE ANCIENT MINERALS MAGNESIUM OIL OR GEL. IS THIS NORMAL?

Some users of magnesium oil and magnesium gel with sensitive skin may experience tingling and/or slight irritation at the site of application due to the high concentration of magnesium chloride. This is completely harmless, and varies based on a number of factors, including how much is applied and where it is applied on the body.

Diluting the magnesium oil 1:1 with pure spring water can reduce this effect, although this is a matter of personal preference. Those who experience this effect also report that the tingling lessens with each subsequent application.

Another option is to choose Ancient Minerals magnesium lotion or magnesium bath flakes, for use in foot soaks and/or full body soaks, which offer a gentler form of transdermal magnesium therapy, for those with extremely sensitive or broken skin."
Angelaska, I have been purchasing magnesium chloride flakes wholesale from a large importer here in Canada, and re-selling it locally on a co-op/share basis to a number of people, since it is much cheaper and I get free shipping as well!

I advise people to mix it 50-50 with water to make their own "magnesium oil",
which is not an oil. It got its name from the smooth greasy feel it leaves on the skin.
So far the only complaint was by someone who found it was stinging a lot, so I suggested to dilute it further, which resolved the issue.

If you do a mag. oil treatment every other day, your mg levels should rise within a few weeks. After, you could reduce your treatments to twice weekly for maintenance.

It is a superior way to supplement, since it gets absorbed through the skin ,
whereas oral magnesium goes through the digestive track and is much less effective and also takes much longer to raise its levels, since  it has laxative effects and must be taken in small doses.

You will feel its effects soon and your skin will thank you too. lol!
After my mag. oil treatment, I shower, dry and then use a long handle natural bristle brush and do my own lymphatic stimulation massage.
  Feels great!  You ought to try it!

Oh, BTW, look up all the ingredients in your shampoo and shower gel!
You will be shocked to find out details about some of the so-called natural ingredients or extracts and other chemicals.
As for your toothpaste and mouthwash, I would ditch them asap, if I were you. Just do a search under "Ten top dangers of Fluoride" for details.
You have enough health issues to deal with, you don't need added ones.

You can make your own healthy toothpaste (see online recipes and videos) and the best mouthwash healthy substitute is parsley (chewing) , but the best results for oral/dental sanitation, hygiene and health with long benefits is "Oil Pulling" using coconut oil. Your entire mouth, teeth and gums will be eternally grateful!!!
I have been oil pulling for years on a daily basis and my oral/dental health has been excellent.

In regards to your temp. taking I would do it for longer, just to establish a
pattern and then you average it out.
Like if you take it ten times
(always first thing in the morning-glass thermometer ready-no covers-away from heat generating partner if you have one- for ten full minutes under arm- and must be free from any infection for accuracy) you simply add all the readings and divide by ten, or you can graph it by temperature on the vertical and days on the horizontal and draw the average temp. line.
So far it's indicative of low thyroid function, which does not surprise me and guess what? Fluoride contributes to hypothyroidism!

Cheers!
Niko
Hi, thanks for your reply. I will note down all your recommendations. :)

My endo told me I have hashimoto's so that is a thyroid disorder and it's responsible for the elevated antibodies... or am I wrong? She also told me to use Shea butter for dry skin but the dry skin hasn't really cleared up.

I was also told to go on the Mirena coil for my heavy periods but I didn't like the sound of that.

I Googled all the ingredients from the shampoo and shower gel - they're mostly silicone based and one is used to make the shampoo pearlescent!
Thanks, I thought I was going mad when my skin didn't tingle as much the day after I first used it. Maybe my pores might have closed up? Just a thought.
Probably your skin isn't as sensitive as mine.  The stinging never went away no matter how long I used the spray.  

Hashimoto's thyroiditis is an autoimmune disease so the body is attacking the thyroid gland because it thinks it is foreign tissue. Silly immune system lol. Do you have any other autoimmune diseases? I have autoimmune pernicious anaemia, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, vitiligo, alopecia areta.