Autoimmune Disorders Community

Facial seborrhea and flakes - Is it auto-immune?

I have these strange flakes or "sebum plugs" that come up all around my chin. The only thing that removes them is using something alkaline - like baking soda or milk of magnesia. However, they come back in 2-3 days time.

I have been diagnosed with Perioral dermatitis, Seborrheic dermatitis, Angular cheilitis, among others.

I have used the following treatments (antifungal, antibacterial, antiparasitic, natural): Minocycline, Metrogel, Prosacea, Eurax, Loprox, Tea Tree Ointment, Econazole, Clotrimazole, Ketoconazole 1%, Selsun Blue, Lotrimin Ultra, Finacea, oral Diflucan, an assortment of vitamins and supplements, natural and alternative medicine.

I have this theory that my body is attacking my chin area's skin cells, therefore breaking down my skin barrier or turning cell turnover too rapidly, which may make the cells clump up in my pores. How do I get to the gist of it and stop it? Is this auto-immune in nature?
Hi!
Flakes and rash could be due to atopic or contact dermatitis, psoriasis or even eczema. To rule out contact dermatitis you will have to take an allergy test. Psoriasis is an immune system disorder but not an autoimmune disease. The immune cells move from dermis to the epidermis and cause proliferation of cells. This should be considered seriously as a diagnosis. Please consult a sin specialist. Take care!
Thank you, this was informative.

I shall seek out an allergy test. I also strongly suspect this is an immune system disorder like psoriasis. How would you treat psoriasis and stop the proliferation of cells?