Autoimmune Disorders Community

Hashimoto's/Hypothyroid severe weight gain?

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroid/Hashimoto's about 14 years ago at the age of 21. I have had my levels checked routinely every 6 months (or every 8 weeks if meds are being adjusted). The past 8 months my levels have been all over the place. First Hypo, so the doctor upped my levothyroxine to .175mcg/day. Then my hypo turned hyper. So the doctor brought my dosage down to .175mcg 6/week and .150mcg 1/week., then my levels again needed to be changed to .150/day, then to where I am now at .137mcg/day. I go to get blood redrawn in two weeks to see if I have stabilized at all. During this whole time I have gained an enormous amount of weight (30lbs in 8 months) and my doctor just keeps telling me to eat healthier and exercise more. I work out 6 times a week doing cardio, walking, basic exercises like sit-ups, push-ups and stretching, and light free weights. I eat healthy, no whites (bread,pasta, sugar, refined foods), I keep dairy minimal, about 1 glass of milk a day (6oz), have a piece of fruit about every other day, and eat a lot of veggies and low-fat protein. What else is there that I can do? Is this a "normal" symptom for someone with Hashimoto's to suddenly flip from hypo to hyper? This is the first time that my thyroid has done this. It is usually a gradual increase of medication with long stretches of stability in between. I believed that when you were hyperthyroid it made it easier to lose weight...not gain it. Could there be another underlying issue? I have been tested for adrenal fatigue, which was a negative. I have had CBC's drawn, there were a few high levels on it but nothing that was "abnormal" according to my doctors (the high levels were the WBC, MCV, MCH, PLT, MVP NEUT#, MONO#, and BASO# but doctor said that is normal for someone with Hahis/hypo). A comprehensive Metabolic panel done, all normal. Hormone levels are all within normal range except for my thyroid which were:
Free T4 1.47  (range 0.75-1.54)
TSH 0.09 (range 0.50-6.00)
Thyroid Peroxidase AB 866.8 (30 positive)
My Endocrinologist has pretty much given up on me saying that he can't figure it out, besides the thyroid levels being off,  but that doesn't "add-up" to my symptoms according to him. My Endo also refuses to test for any T3's since he said they are not a good indicator of how my thyroid is functioning since they fluctuate throughout the day. I have read a lot of how T3's effect thyroid function overall and now I am in the process of looking for a new Endocrinologist who will test for everything, as well as trying to find anyone out there who may be able to help me. ANY information is greatly appreciated and welcomed. Thank you for taking the time to read this long post.
Your Free T4 looks great.  

There are some with good Free T4 levels who don't convert well to the T3 hormone, which is really what you live off of. So "Free T3" should be tested also.

You will get a lot more feedback if you go to the thyroid disorders forum here at med help.

And when they said your hyper, did you actually feel hyper?

The hypo-hyper roller coaster does happen to some people - but usually at the beginning of Hashimoto.