Autoimmune Disorders Community

Lip biopsy........is it REALLY as bad as I have heard?

Hi y'all!
I'm a soon to be 42 y/o female who just got tested for Sjogren;s today. My Rheumy ordered a CBC, Sed Rate, ANA, RF and I believe SS-A & SS-B.......was told that if my blood didn't confirm Sjogren's that I would undergo a lip biopsy. Now I have heard some horror stories about how bad it hurts. So if ANYONE could shed ANY light on the entire process I would GREATLY appreciate it!

The reason I am suspected of having Sjogren's is I have had CHRONIC dry mouth since early Jan. The dry mouth happens EVERY DAY to some extant. Some days are worse than others but every day I experience it to some degree. I have trouble swallowing. In fact I have had to be taken off one of my daily meds because I suddenly became unable to swallow this pill.....after being on this pill at this same dosage for quite a while. I get strangled VERY easily while eating. I have been Vit D deficient for the past 3 years.....my latest blood test on 2/24/16  for Vit D my level was 14.

I am pretty healthy......I have joint pain but nothing too bad. I just deal with it. I get fatigued easily. I do have Bipolar Disorder/SAD (social) OCD PTSD for which I take daily meds. And BTW I have been on this "cocktail" for over 1 1/2 years and have not had a increase in meds in quite a while. My dry mouth just started out of the blue.....

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies.
Lisa
I'm sorry for my potential ignorance but isn't it possible to have dry mouth because of the pills/medicine?
yes it is possible. But I have been on these same meds for years and there has been no increase in quite some time. So both my PCP & Rheumy agree that suddenly developing chronic mouth is not because of my meds.

My chronic dry mouth started in Jan and I have it to some degree everyday! Some days are worse than others but nonetheless I experience it everyday!

I appreciate you taking time to reply!
Lisa
I am just seeing this and you have probably had the pricedure done.  I have had a lip biopsy and carotid gland biopsy.  The lip biopsy was no worse then getting a shot at the dentist and was very quick.  Actually, was to,d my lip would be numb for a few weeks. That was about 3 years ago and that spot is still numb!  My tests were negative for Sjorgens but I suffer horrible dry mouth and throat.  I am constantly drinking something or chewing sugarless gum.  It is horrible to deal with.  I will caution you to be extremely careful about your dental health!  My gums are now receding and have some loose teeth.  I use almost all of the Biotene products also.  No definitive answers for me.