Autoimmune Disorders Community

Lymph Node Question

Thanks in advance for anyone who has any insight into my question.

I recently had a small lump directly behind one ear lobe almost in the crease.

I did panic. I got it checked, one person said he thought it was just a benign cyst (wasn't 100%) a week later a triage nurse said it was a lymph node. A third doctor said it could've been either.

My question is, the cyst or node never formed a head but was definitely attached to the skin layer. I thought nodes were always under the skin??

Also the other nodes under the ear didn't change size at all, some medical diagrams don't even show a node directly behind the ear lobe, so i left 3 appointments none the wiser..

I did constantly prod and check it. If it was a node I do get allergies or it could've been something else.

Any ideas of where I can get more information of theses specific nodes, it's quite important.

Hi!
The post auricular (behind the ear) lymph nodes can be present in the crease of the ear (shown as lymph nodes next to the ear lobe in most diagrams). If you have other lymph nodes swollen in the region of the ear and neck, then in all probability the lump is a swollen lymph node. Yes, lymph nodes are present under the skin but while you feel them, they may feel as something adhering to skin. You could ask for an ultrasound of the lump. This would nail the diagnosis. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.