Autoimmune Disorders Community

Mystery illness/ Autoimmune Pancreatitis

My father went in for a Whipple procedure in Jan of 08. He was told that the tumor was not resectable and that he had pancreatic cancer even though the biopsy were neg. About a week later he became very ill. He was unable to eat and if he did he would vomit this vial green vomit. This went on for about 2-3 months. Prior to this he became jaundice and had sever itching and pustcules all over. When he went to his oncolgist and they perfored another CT scan they found that the "tumor" was almost gone. Then 1 1/2 years later he developed kidney failure (I should mention that he has been a diabetic for 15ish years). None of his doctors could explain why his kidney where failing. Now the past month or so he has developed a swollen gland on the side of his neck. It was the size of a grapefruit now it is the size of a golf ball. The itching and vomiting returned a few weeks later. He has just a small amount of jaundice. The team of doctors have NO explanation for any of his symtoms. I think he has Autoimmue Pancreatitis! Can any relate? Also, does anyone know of a good doctor in California?
Hi! Actually yes! The possibility of autoimmune pancreatitis is there. This can be confirmed by presence of abnormally elevated levels of serum gamma globulin and/or IgG, or the presence of autoantibodies. Also this responds to steroids. If this is confirmed, then autoimmune kidney disease can co-exist with high amounts of IgA. There is usually blood in urine in this IgA nephropathy—with red/brown/wine colored urine. If urine microalbumins are high then there is possibility that kidney involvement is due to diabetes.  Take care!